Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedure with GDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
I recently finished my advance nitrox and deco procedures class with Rick Murcar (GDI). Here is my after action review of the class. I would recommend my friends take the class with Rick.

Subject: After Action Review of TDI Decompression Procedures and Advance Nitrox Class with GDI

Instructor: Rick Murcar, GDI

Training Locations: Paradise Springs, 40 Fathom Grotto

Day one of training, Friday, we met at Paradise Springs, for a shakeout/check out dive, inspected equipment Rick provided suggestions and discussed options for my current configuration.

Covered some book work, and discussed deco procedures, planned a dive to 140’ only dove to 99’ yet followed the times for a 140’ dive as well as well as what I expected from Rick to task load me with running a reel while dropping stages, trying to keep my trim while dropping and retrieving stages mine and his steels.

As well as using one of his training 1st stages, and removing the stage from a valve and replacing it to simulate a stage failure and needing to switch out stages on a bottle.

Ended the dive by following the plan, discussed the newly I’d issued I discovered due to extra gear and task loading. As well as experience gained from the dive, lessons like writing my plan using a pencil on the slate was very hard to read, vs graphite pencil from wet notes or even better using a sharpie on duct tape on my slate.

I went home that night feeling over whelmed, but due to a work commitment I had the next day off from class and that gave me time to reconfigure my gear and set it up based on what I experienced today and Ricks recommendations, and get my head right for the new skills and tasks that I was introduced to.

Day two, of the course was on Sunday, again at Paradise, this time I was better prepared for the skills and had made changes to my gear, 3 (three dives were planned and executed today again to 140’ all dives were to this level and Rick kept a cave flavor to the training as that is my goal.

I normally don’t like to dive Paradise, and could only handle once a year there as I was bored with it never being deeper in the system the 99ft. Today I discovered a new system to me and my interest in that small simple spring was peaked. We planned and dove the system to 140’ again I was running my primary reel dropping stages along the way. But after having a day to reconfigure my gear things were smoother and flowed in the water. Trim was better, everything was better all around.

The lessons learned from Day 1 were taken into account and corrections were proper as was Ricks recommendations for gear configuration. This reduced a lot of stress and task loading due to things being clearer.

Rick thinks I was narc’d and made fun of my math skills at 140 ft,( maybe… I was a little slow counting) but I didn’t take my fins off to finish. The plan was followed and I thought things went well. Rick again being ever observant pointed out things I need to improve on like stage placement on the line. Not taking stages beyond the MOD in this environment however making sure I understood in blue water I have to take them.

The 2d dive was also planned and executed again Rick pointed out details to help me. During this dive while I was on a stage, Rick approached and gave me the OOA signal, instinctively I handed him the regulator I was breathing on, which was my deco gas, and I went back to my back gas and then it hit me what I did, that I did not give him my 7footer, I gave him my deco gas. Again, Rick taught me the point in the usual way that he uses, (experience) how to handle AAO situations in this environment. Also during this dive I had equipment failure nothing critical, but aggravating as my dry suit was no longer.

The 3d dive was shallow and more for skills like shooting a lift bag, s drills, equipment manipulation and the day ended I was getting more comfortable with the extra gear and was no longer fighting buoyancy and trim like the previous day.

The 3d day, Monday we met at 40 Fathom Grotto, planned a couple of dives to 150’. All was well with planning and getting in the water there was low vis as the 1st 30’ was murky, between 15-30 ft I felt a bit sick due to no visual reference and my head and stomach turned some, it cleared up when I dropped below 30’ and the water cleared up. We headed to 150’, Rick was checking my math during the decent. I was feeling a little narc’d at depth and at 20 min it to the dive while responding to a 8 count challenge I used my thumb as the #1 vs my finger and did not realize I just turned the dive. We turned the dive and followed our -10 min plan out. Exited and debriefed on the surface where I was made apparent to me I turned the dive prior to time or gas turn point and I realized what I had done.

The next dive was again to 150’ I was not feeling well from the 1st dive but wanted to finish the course. My head was feeling bad and my stomach was turning from the vertigo during the decent. 2d dive entered the water dropped down this time no vertigo no narcosis hanging out at 150’, Rick tried to get me to do a trust me and I didn’t. we met our planned dive time and began to ascent.

This is where this dive got interesting for me. I was between 100-83 ft things started to spin, no visual reference, I was looking at particulate and it was spinning looking like the stars in a star trek movie flashing by. I grabbed the up line and focused on it did not help. The spinning was getting worse. I got myself neutral, and checked my depth.

Now I was really starting to spin, I felt like was a flag on a pole, and was trying to be thrown from the up line. In my head I knew I was not spinning for real and it was all in head. I checked to make sure I was on the right gas still on back gas not able to change to a deco mix and I felt like a drunk and went spread eagle trying to stop the spinning without success.

I knew in my mind it was all in my head, and made myself slow my breathing down and focused in that now I was having a hard time telling up from down, I could see my depth was unchanged and I started watching my bubbles to get my orientation. About this time Rick and Fred came into view and the vertigo stopped as quickly as it started. I now had a reference point in the water and was able to switch gas for deco and follow my plan out.

That was the worst dive I have ever had. But it also confirmed to me that even when **** is going bad if you have air, life is still good, and just focus on staying calm and working through the issue at hand.

When I finally surfaced I felt like ass stomach and head were spinning and I was done stick a fork in me.

It took me a full day and sleep to feel better. But I really believe that previous training with Rick and others from my past have allowed me to remain calm when things aren’t going as planned.

Also included was an introduction to PP gas blending and calculating your mix. Again the math portion of that was wearing me out.

I look forward to getting back into the water and using my new skills, after my ears dry out. Rick is a great instructor and very patient. This is the 2d class I have taken with him and plan to take cave with him in the future.

A couple days after writing this, I learned I had an ear infection which may have contributed to the vertigo on the last day.

He didn't want the gas you were breathing on the OOA?

As he stated in the AAR after we surfaced, he would have been happy to have my deco gas while I went back on air and adjusted my deco times accordingly.

In a OOA situatin I would take any gas given me as long as I could breath it safely. I would even consider going shallow to breath a high PP gas if it meant life or death. Make a choice live or die. The reason for not wanting the deco gas is to have the studnet think about his own off gasing deco obligation. there are many options here. the diver needs to be aware of the deco status they are subject to and that the choices they make can effect that status. Our discussion was just a point to think and consider

Sounds like a very thorough class! I've had the occasional vertigo issue in no-reference water...it's definitely no fun, but as long as you can breathe, you're OK...even if you do feel like you're inside a washer on the spin cycle!

I was just telling someone this evening that I think one of the greatest things about some tech training is what it teaches you about coping with midwater, including disorientation.

As someone who has been plagued with vertigo in midwater for four years, I applaud you coping so well with it on your first go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom