Adv. OW to DM...How long did you take

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm currently have 38 dives under my belt. It took me 20+ dives to get my AOW, and now I am working on my rescue course in Xcalak, MX at XTC Dive Centre. After I complete that, I will work on getting my DM since I am living and working as an intern here. It's taking me a bit longer to get through it but I am getting more one on one instruction.

I did my OW, AOW, and Rescue within a year. Waited for two more years until I had more experience before completing my DM.

I did OW and AOW in 15 dives. Twenty years later and still not a DM.
Did do the Rescue, Trimix and Cave a while back though.

OWD to AOWD -> 2 years
AOWD to RD -> 2 years
RD to DM -> 2 years

Pretty consistent right? :p

Last edited:
I was certified in January 2007, did my AOW summer of 1998 and rescue in the summer of 1999. I started the Dm program in January 2000 and completed it and got my credential April 10, 2000. I hade just over 100diver when I began the DM program. I did all certification classes here in Colorado, did have to travel to do the intern portions of the DM program. I think once you begin the Dm program, it is important to stay focused on the academic portions. We have a lot of DM candidates who do the watermanship things, skills mastery and intern in confined and open water, but they do not get theeir academics and tests done. They are kind of like the PhD students who take forever to do their dissertation. Don't overlook the reading and testing part of the program.
DivemasterDennis

3 years+ and nearly 300 dives. Just finished my DM this month!

Just started DM program this month - so that makes 4 years for me.

2009 OW, AOW
2010 Rescue
2011 AN / DP, Intro to Cave (IANTD)
2012 Adv Wreck (TDI), TEC 50
2013 Adv Trimix (TDI), Full Cave (IANTD) (1 training dive remaining)

DM looks pretty easy so far - but I can't imagine doing it with the minimum requirements (40 dives to start...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom