Advanced Open Water Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madfishdiving

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey just a quick question..

I understand to be an Advanced Open Water Instructor you must be certified to teach 4 specialties...

but to be able to teach specialties, an instructor much certify a certain number of open water students correct?

Can someone please tell me what this number is.. and possibly a link to a website which shows it.. I can't seem to find it anywhere

thanks heaps

To find the newest standards for SSI, go online to SSI Scuba Schools International: SSI - Serious Diving, Serious Fun . Sign (log in page) into ODiN using your dive leader # & the password you set up or you will have to set one up. Look on the tab to the left that has "Leader Services" & select "My Downloads" from the drop down menu. There will be a list for you to choose from. Go to the folder "SSI Training Standards", in your case, go to Australia (if that is where you are instructing) & select. Australia's requirements may be a bit different from the US. Here all we must do is have experience in the specialties to be taught & either CO-teach a course with an AOWSI or go through a seminar with an IT,... no minimum # of OW certs.

Edit: Oops,... I see that you are not yet an instructor. You may not be able to view the standards. I believe you must be a dive leader to view them (dive Master or higher). If nothing else you might learn who the nearest Instructor Trainer/ Instructor Certifier in your area is.

Last edited:
Sorry one more thing,

I actually am an Open Water Instructor btw... As soon as I certify my 15th OW Diver.. will the rights to teach the specialties automatically be awarded to me? as in on the website etc. ?

Sorry,.. looking at your profile, I assumed. To be honest, I don't know how that would work in Australia. In the US, we can start teaching specialties as soon as we qualify by co-teaching with an AOWSI or higher or go through a seminar with an IT & submit the paperwork.

Back
Top Bottom