Adventure Lion Dry Bags...also wondering if any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hikingitall

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm actually a hiker who stumbled upon these forums while researching some waterproof bags on amazon. There's another thread asking about them and they got a good review over there, and the amazon reviews are really positive. So I'm thinking I might pick up a couple, but I'm skeptical buying gear on Amazon.....

Amazon.com : BEST Dry Bag, Dry Sack On Amazon - PREMIUM Dry Bags Waterproof GUARANTEED, Shoulder Strap Included - This Dry Compression Sack Is Perfect For Your Outdoor Quest - High Quality Roll Top Dry Bag, Can Be The Perfect Waterproof Bag For Sport

Since you SCUBA folks are probably the experts on waterproof bags, anyone else here have any experience with these?

Thanks

Why the anti-Amazon bias. What they sell is what everyone sells. It's not knockoff junk. I've bought a lot of gear from them and never found misrepresentation or had a problem.

I have a few dry bags that I use when kayaking but do not have much use for them when diving. I do not know that brand but these things are very simple to seal so your main concern would be the thickness and durability of the material itself.

You're right. I have prime and take advantage of all the digital stuff but when it comes down to it, Amazon is beating the big box stores even on cheaper manufactured goods nowadays. I'd usually go to an EMS or REI for something like this but I guess amazon really is here to stay.

I bought the bags and will have them in a couple days. I'll review the quality here. The reviews are positive so I have pretty high expectations. Like the other guy said, it's about the durability so I'll try and abuse them a bit.

---------- Post added March 8th, 2015 at 10:31 PM ----------

You bought the Adventure lion brand or a different one off amazon?

So I got my Adventure Lion bag in the mail the other day and took it out to the waterfall. I got a green one. It's kind of an olive drab color. Packaging was standard Amazon, 2 day. I got the 10L

Out of the box impression: Feels like a nice solid material without lots of vulnerable creases. The buckles and straps don't feel cheap or crappy. The shoulder strap was really useful. I feel like if it didn't have a shoulder strap, I'd be using the buckle to hold the bag's weight which is never ideal. Not sure what other companies do to avoid this problem. The closure process is super simple, instructions printed on the bag.

In action: worked as advertised. It was moisture resistant throughout the drizzle, and then after I got to the waterfall I put it right in the spray, let it float some, gave it a dunk and all that. Everything dry after.

I used it to store my backup layering, wallet, and phone. Did so fairly comfortably. But I'll warn that the bags get a lot smaller after you roll them up. So the 10L is probably good enough for a light change of clothes and a few small possessions for one person. The 5L would probably be mainly phones and wallets. I'll probably pick up one of the 20L ones when they're back in stock, that's probably suitable for couples.

All in all I'm satisfied. There might be better dry dry bags for the hardcore type, but for <30 bucks with amazon prime and all that, hard to beat.

Why the anti-Amazon bias. What they sell is what everyone sells. It's not knockoff junk. I've bought a lot of gear from them and never found misrepresentation or had a problem.

That only holds true if you don't accidentally buy from a "marketplace seller" on amazon. Ask me how I know :wink:. Amazon's great, but their marketplace sellers are just some guy from China or wherever. Or, to quote Amazon directly:

When you place an order with a third party seller, all order information are transferred to the appropriate seller so they could fulfill your order. Note: Amazon.com provides oversight of Marketplace transactions. Credit card information is held on Amazon.com's secure server, and is never shared with Marketplace sellers.

Since Amazon.com was not directly involved in fulfilling your order, seller will be able to send a replacement or issue a refund for this order. We do, however, issue a full refund through our A-to-z guarantee program in the event seller doesn't help.

All great except it is difficult to know if you're buying from amazon.com "for real" or not when you're buying from amazon.com.

Sorry for the left field there, Hikingitall. I don't know anything about those dry bags in particular. Dry bags are a common item in almost any scuba shop but I've never heard of that brand. Scuba shops don't usually have a diverse product line so their absence in my local shops doesn't tell you anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom