Advice: Dive Bags, Computer, Hydros Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aburns84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Going to be buying new gear this year and making the switch to Scuba Pro equipment. Upgrading to wireless air integrated computer, and I have dive trips planned but there are complications with it and need input. Please help where you can on my questions below.

1) What computer do you recommend? My top two at the moment are the Oceanic OCi and the Perdix Ai. The aqualung i750tc is a decent third but looks hard to see in bright light. The perdix ai looks nice and I love the compass and ease of battery change but I don't think the navigation is easier than the Oceanic (tested at LDS) and I wish it had some of the automated modes the Oceanic has like factoring in your air consumption so not only do you arrive while having air but factoring when to start going up so you hit the surface right at 500 psi for example. Only downsides about the OCi is I'm not crazy about the compass (not that I use it with the type of diving I do and I have a dedicated compass w/wrist strap) and no bluetooth log support. Just making sure there is nothing new out there I should be looking at computer wise.

2) For those with a hydros pro what are you doing when it comes to transporting it? I know it comes with that travel bag but that won't be useful for me except for maybe storage. Carry on wise I can't attach my size large seawing nova fins to the bag and use that scubapro as a carry on since the seawing nova fins go over by 2-3" length wise. My gear will definitely be compact since I'm going with an air integrated wireless computer, an air 2, hydros pro, and a s600 reg system with flex hoses. So... factoring in my gear plus added space for a wetsuit and towel should I upgrade to a different mesh bag for carrying my bag on and off the boat? (I don't do liveaboards) I currently have the mares cruise mesh bag but wondered if it is now too big for my setup. Plus I'd love something that has a cushion on the bag so my gear isn't poking me. Sometimes I have long walks from the cruise ship to the dive boat.
Mares Cruise Backpack Mesh Deluxe

3) Starting in 2020 I am going to do a 7 day caribbean cruise as my scuba trip. I love to cruise plus I can pick cruises that are 80% scuba stops like I already have booked on a 2020 cruise. I am going to be in this studio stateroom. This is a really short video of the stateroom for my upcoming questions. This will be a great cruise and this is pretty much my only choice for solo traveling without a double occupancy so it is tight. Looking at this room what would you do for drying your gear? I'm thinking about getting a hanger for my wetsuit, hang it on the inside of the shower, then use a bunch of towels on the bottom of the shower to let my bcd, wetsuit, and rinsed off accessories dry. I'm sure other people have been in tighter spaces. Any ideas? I know the dressers look nice but they are only like 8" deep and not very tall. You can barely get 5 shirts in the biggest dresser opening.

4) I need advice on a bag since I can't rely on using the scubapro hydros bag as a carry on. I already have a akona bag that I use for flights when I used to have a giant jacket bc and took the family's snorkel gear. Now that I am doing the scuba/cruise trip I'm wondering if I should invest in a different bag so I can keep my clothes, dressier clothes, and some electronics (mainly chargers), away from my scuba stuff. Not sure I can do that with the akona bag unless you have ideas. I was wondering about something like the ebags motherload bag. Does anyone know of any other bags that are scuba gear friendly, can store a 26" or longer fin, and has a divider for your normal clothes? Ideally I don't want to lug two luggage bags.
My current bag.
Akona – Roller Bag – Aquarius Scuba
https://www.ebags.com/hproduct/ebag...fxyR8B6Lc-VPB7ctbtBnznYoCdbAjPJEaAgL7EALw_wcB

The Perdix comes with widely used and well documented algorithms and won't lock you out if you make it unhappy. What else is there to say?

1) What computer do you recommend? My top two at the moment are the Oceanic OCi and the Perdix Ai. The aqualung i750tc is a decent third but looks hard to see in bright light.

If you are going this high end, there is absolutely no reason for you consider the High end Oceanic or the AL, there are other three choices to choose from that are price and feature superior:

1. Ratio Computers Ratio Dive Computers

2. Scubapro G2

3. Shearwater Perdix AI

Other choices are about the same or more money but less features, less capabilities, crappy battery and screen life/brightness, etc. The AL i750tc and the equivalent from Oceanic are terrible choices because of their short battery life and screen with far less features and capabilities. I would stay away from these two even if given to me for free.

1. I haven't used any of the computers, so I don't have any input there.
2. I would keep the Mares mesh bag. When I pack my gear to take off the ship I put my fins against my back and I don't seem to need padding. Padding in a SCUBA bag will get wet and take longer to dry. Get a drybag to go in it though, so you can keep your towel, clothing, and wallet dry.
3. I have given up on trying to dry my gear on a cruise ship between dive days except for the wetsuit. I don't wear a wetsuit for Caribbean diving, but if I did I would bring a hanger to dry it inside out in the shower. A fan would be helpful, but sometimes the cruise line does not like you bringing personal fans on board and will confiscate them. Sometimes you can ask for one when you board and your room steward will bring you one, but other times they don't have any available. After the last day of diving I put out all the gear, rinse it in the shower and let it dry on the tile floor (no towels). It might take a couple days. I rerinse it when I get home so I can let it soak in a tub. All my bulky stuff gets shoved under the bed as that's the only place with space in a cruise ship stateroom.
4. For a suitcase, I like hard-sided ones. If you already have the akona bag though, I would use that and get some packing cubes to keep things separate. There is usually a sea day as the last day of a cruise so the equipment is nice and dry (and not stinky) by the time you need to pack it off the ship. If that's not the case, maybe bring some large ziplock bags to put clothing in so it does not pick up that wet dive gear smell.

I bought this stuff Home for travel, their mesh back pack works well, is comfortable and drys fast.

I have a Hydros Pro and G2 but I think I'd go a different route on the computer for tech diving some day - I like the G2 for the diving I currently do, 2-5 dives a day, staying above 130' and that it's rechargeable and will last all week on a charge.

I use the Hydros Pro back pack as a carry on for regs, lights, computers etc.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom