Question Travel Pro 30" roller duffel as dive luggage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm an old dawg diver who needs a new dive & travel bag. Dive globally, so I need airplane accepted luggage. I have read many posts here on ScubaBoard. The flight industry standard in luggage is Travel Pro. Travel Pro makes a 30" roller duffel. Does anyone have any experience with the product holding dive equipment ?

Thanks in advance.

ScubaTub

I've used a plain jane Travelpro soft sided maxlite spinner suitcase for years - it's worked great so that duffle should too.

I love our Travelpro - full kit with 7mm fits easily. Prefer it to our Stahlsac bag - lighter, easier to haul and has more capacity. We've hauled all manner of tools and house stuff to our vacation rental place in the Turks and Caicos. After Hurricane Fiona blasted sand and crap into every inch of the exterior of our house, my husband packed an entire pressure washer in it!

Also nice to have a bag that doesn't advertise its contents.

REI big haul 30"
It has huge roller blade wheels that can go over anything.
cc0dd8cd-7df3-4ada-8561-4da5d9052e76.jpeg

I use Pelican Air cases for work travel. They are indestructible plastic of some kind. Unless you put stickers on them, they don't say what is inside. I don't have much experience traveling with scuba gear, but do have plenty traveling with other gear. So there is that. As a bonus, you can use a Pelican case as a small soaking bin provided you have time to dry it before traveling again. What with time before flying, that shouldn't be an issue. My cases are orange and ugly. Nobody wants them and I can see them a mile away.

I use Pelican Air cases for work travel. They are indestructible plastic of some kind. Unless you put stickers on them, they don't say what is inside. I don't have much experience traveling with scuba gear, but do have plenty traveling with other gear. So there is that. As a bonus, you can use a Pelican case as a small soaking bin provided you have time to dry it before traveling again. What with time before flying, that shouldn't be an issue. My cases are orange and ugly. Nobody wants them and I can see them a mile away.
They do however unfortunately scream "expensive" which alerts both the customs agents and less savory individuals that they may be interested in the contents.

We have two of these. Very sturdy and they have two lockable compartments. The flat bottom one is perfect for fins and booties, the top one for BCD, wet suit and other stuff.

1712231292542.jpeg

They do however unfortunately scream "expensive" which alerts both the customs agents and less savory individuals that they may be interested in the contents.
Not to mention their weight - the one I got is 30” diagonal and weighs almost 9kgs!! So that eats into 10kgs of the basic 20kg baggage allowance then if you add typically 14kgs of Scuba gear + 7kgs of clothing you have another 11 kgs left so you end up paying for the 15kg bracket of excess baggage fees … moreover the weight of camera electronics and batteries basically consumes most of my carry-on baggage so no option to stuff clothing in the cabin bag. :rolleyes:

My pelican style case lies permanently below my bed frame as a long term storage box for my scuba gear.

Not to mention their weight - the one I got is 30” diagonal and weighs almost 9kgs!! So that eats into 10kgs of the basic 20kg baggage allowance then if you add typically 14kgs of Scuba gear + 7kgs of clothing you have another 11 kgs left so you end up paying for the 15kg bracket of excess baggage fees … moreover the weight of camera electronics and batteries basically consumes most of my carry-on baggage so no option to stuff clothing in the cabin bag. :rolleyes:

My pelican style case lies permanently below my bed frame as a long term storage box for my scuba gear.

They have a more air travel friendly, weight wise, version of their cases.

I'm an old dawg diver who needs a new dive & travel bag. Dive globally, so I need airplane accepted luggage. I have read many posts here on ScubaBoard. The flight industry standard in luggage is Travel Pro. Travel Pro makes a 30" roller duffel. Does anyone have any experience with the product holding dive equipment ?
I have one. It's too big, and the space goes to waste because you hit the airline 50 pound limit before it's anywhere near full. I replaced it with the TravelPro Bold 28" rollaboard, which is better, as long as you choose fins that will fit. The 28" weighs a couple pounds less so you can carry slightly more in practice.

Even the 28" can easily be loaded beyond 50 pounds.

REI big haul 30"
It has huge roller blade wheels that can go over anything.

Thanks in advance.

ScubaTub

Either the Travel Pro Bold 30” rolling duffel or 28” TP Bold suitcase will carry your gear. For me the choice boiled down to fin length and luggage side wall sturdiness. Since my fins fit in the 28”, I felt the sturdier sidewalls would also give more protection from luggage piled on top of mine in the plane’s luggage hold and baggage carts. I started using TP luggage when I was an airline pilot, and 34 years later, it is still my preferred luggage choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom