Advice for older divers in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can see I have a lot of research to do!
Thanks for all the ideas. Will let you all know how we fared.

BD&A doesn't seem like the optimum solution for older divers who don't want to lug tanks - or have to reboard a panga sized boat.
Did BD&A ever get a bigger one? I wasn't overly comfortable stepping down the step past the bench then onto the boat and I don't have any issues.
There are plenty of divers, old and young, able and not so able, who find the BDA dock to be just fine. Tank lugging is virtually non-existent unless you are worried by 30 ft. If you are diving air and going by boat, your tanks are lugged for you. Entry and exit from the boat is simple. Are the boats big? No, nor is a larger size necessary.

Let's compare:

Buddy Dive:
Boats
Toucan Dive:
Dive activities | Van der Valk Plaza Beach Resort
BD&A:
Bonaire Dive and Adventure

It's pretty apparent which is the easier access and is easier/better for boarding/reboarding. As far as tank "lugging" - if we're talking about shore diving, Buddy wins because the guys will load them in the truck for you. Although I like Toucan, unless you park by the dumpsters it's a pretty good carry also.

Last edited:
Let's compare:

Buddy Dive:
Boats
Toucan Dive:
Dive activities | Van der Valk Plaza Beach Resort
BD&A:
Bonaire Dive and Adventure

It's pretty apparent which is the easier access and is easier/better for boarding/reboarding. As far as tank "lugging" - if we're talking about shore diving, Buddy wins because the guys will load them in the truck for you. Although I like Toucan, unless you park by the dumpsters it's a pretty good carry also.
Sorry for my misunderstanding you. I did not realize that the size of the boat was an issue. Let me be a little more careful with my language.

If the OP wishes to use BDA for shore dives onto Bari Reef from the BDA dock, a tank will have to be carried about 30 or so feet to a bench for gearing up.

If the OP wishes to shore dive elsewhere on the island using BDA as the tank source, the pickup truck can be backed up to the BDA tank loading station from which the tank must be carried about 10-15 ft to the truck.

If the OP wishes to use BDA boats for diving and the OP is using air (i.e., not nitrox), there is no need to carry a tank anywhere because they are loaded onto the boat by the divemasters. If nitrox is used, then the diver must first measure the gas then carry the tank about 40 ft to the edge of the dock next to the boat from which divemasters will load it onto the boat. Gear bags will be loaded onto the boat by the DMs.

The BDA boats are older and smaller than those at Buddy or Toucan. Mostly, they go just to Klein which is very close. Most importantly, they have typical stainless steel ladders for getting out of the water. No big deal, IMHO, and the difficulty of returning to the boat is about the same as for most boats that use ladders. Water entry from the boat is via giant stride. There is nothing complicated, special or novel about any of the procedures. As the photos and text indicate the BDA boats are limited to 10 or 15 divers max per trip. Bigger boats generally means more divers.

Does OP mean Old Person?:D

While I may resemble that, OP refers to the original post (or poster)

My younger (20-30+ years younger than me) friends/colleagues at work refer to me as " the O. F.", which is similar, but kess polite! :)

Isn't there a boat and crew thst this group could contract for the week that knows valet is what is desired and s little extra cash is thrown in on top to ensure the level of service?

Isn't there a boat and crew thst this group could contract for the week that knows valet is what is desired and s little extra cash is thrown in on top to ensure the level of service?

Here's one option. Menno and his crew have a great reputation for small, intimate, and friendly boat diving experience. They even offer "dive butler" services. Not sure what the incremental cost for this level of service is over a standard dive operator like Buddy Dive or Dive Friends Bonaire.

Private Diving Services | Dive into Bonaire in style with GOOODive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom