Advice Needed for Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 oceanic pro. I go one for a backup. neather one has ever faled me. My douther has one two. never a problem. I dive nitrox and set it safe 1.4 no back ligth, saves bat. You can pay more and get more too. But for Rec. diving [Way].

Hey all!

I just want to express my gratitude for the wealth of information I got from the forum, this is great!

So, to answer to the question of why I would like to not have a lock out, well, if you bend your computer you basically end up with a very expensive paperweight for 48h. Then again, I do understand the rationale (i.e. legal liability and/or personal injury along with the inherent big no-no regarding pushing the tables) that would drive such a design decision. It seems like pretty much all computer have that "feature", so I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Now, it seems like I've narrowed down the choice to the seiko-based comps, I really like the 2 gas option, and it seems easy to use and very readable (and relatively reasonably priced). But as some mentioned, the computer seems to be plagued with QC issues (especially the Nitek Duo). I'm now leaning toward the TUSA IQ-700, seems like few(er) ppl have had issues with it. I guess I'll call Larry and see what he thinks (and maybe get an explanation of the post http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1522493&postcount=16 :wink: ).

The only thing that concerns me is that I'm flying to Thailand in March, and I'm sort of concerned with the TUSA warranty over there... anyone had had to deal with them?

Thanks a bunch,

-Anfeust

If you bend your computer you SHOULD be sitting out for at least 24 hours. I have never bent my Suuntos, and as far as being conservative, you don't want to run along the edge of the NDLs anyway.

EDIT: Yeah, that lock out feature is designed to have you live. Bending your computer is far more serious than you seem to think it is.

The Delta P Technologies VR2 should suit you.

It does Air and Nitrox (up to four mixes) open circuit, offers the option of integrating an O2 cell for use as an O2 analyzer (or with SC or CC rebreathers), can be up- and downloaded (i.e. software upgrades per internet), has a fairly large display and no lockout.

Aeris Atmos 2 wrist meets your criteria, I believe, and it's a great deal at ~$280 or so from ScubaToys. I love mine. My bro loves his. Just bought one for my wife. It's liberal with adjustable tolerances, backlight, audible alarms, safety stop countdown, Nitrox, real easy to use, nice big display. No complaints here.

Cheers :D

I really like my Tusa IQ-700. Has all features in your list and is easy to read for my old eyes. It is not as conservative as Sunto, but not as liberal as Aries.

I really like my TUSA IQ-700 also. Since TUSA / Tabata is based in Japan, you'll be geographically closer to their home base of operations when you're in Thailand, not sure how that will affect warranty but if you're buying from Scubatoys I bet they can facilitate any issues you might encounter once you let them know you have one.

The plots of dive profiles definitely show this computer (as well as the TUSA IQ-800 Sapience) is much closer to the Suunto than the Oceanic / Aeris in conservatism. But also not quite exactly the same as the DR NiTek Duo since the TUSA models use 12 theoretical tissue compartments while the Dive Rite models use 9. My TUSA IQ-700 is very, very slightly more conservative than my DR NiTek3.

http://dive.scubadiving.com/images/200408GR_computer_charts.gif

http://dive.scubadiving.com/PDF/200505_divecomps_graphs_01.pdf

The DR NiTek Duo owner's manual is much better for practical use than the TUSA IQ-700 manual though.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, rather than start a new topic...I have a couple of questions about the Aladin Tec. What kind of backlight does it have? Any major problems? I haven't been able to find much information on this board about it. Thanks.

Hey all,

Just to let you know, I've finally pulled the trigger, I called Larry at scubatoys and he gave me a really nice deal on the IQ700.

He also mentioned that he talked with the TUSA rep recently, and that the IQ700 does *not* seem to be plagued with the issues that the Nitek Duo has. Time will tell, though I'd be inclined to trust him.

Now it's just a question of getting wet :D

-A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom