advice of go pro setting for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me underwater it is just one setting on my hero 3+ black. 2.7k@30fps and medium fov. Don't use 60fps unless you want slomo. At 30 fps the shutter is slower which allows more light to the sensor. I don't use protune ans awb is on. But this setting is only usefull if you use lights. I did shot Protune in the past, but the post processing just took too much time. I post process in my video editor. Here an example:

https://vimeo.com/113448302

1080p/30fps

I am still to see a plausible explanation on how 60fps makes things less shaky. For the reasons pointed here, 30fps lets more light in. Files are smaller and manageable.

Auto white balance (awb) works just fine with the right filter.

Don't mean to hijack thread, but a little shaky, and latest one seems to indicate that I need a filter or lights for 50 fsw. Originally hero (no number) loaned to me by buddy who bought a newer one. So wondered if lower resolution will help with shaky and kinda dark.

You won't be use that model for diving without the specific "dive housing" or a third party "flat port" housing. The original HERO and HERO2's housing with the curved port will NOT focus underwater. The result is unuseable. Finding those housings nowadays is hard (and expensive).

I might have one.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1080p/30fps

I am still to see a plausible explanation on how 60fps makes things less shaky. For the reasons pointed here, 30fps lets more light in. Files are smaller and manageable.

I think of it like a strobe light. Unless you are on a tripod, things are in motion, even if they are micromovements from muscle shakes. If your strobe is flashing slowly, when the light illuminates the scene everything is likely to have moved from the prior flash. If the strobe is flashing quickly, things are less likely to have moved, or to have moved less distance. It simply smooths out the perception of movement. Or that's how I imagine it going down, in my mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom