Advice on a Nikon D3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jah313

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently have three D3's and am considering getting a housing and strobes for one of them, and I am looking for advice. Right now I just use a Nikon L20 with a Fantasea housing to play around with while diving, but am considering shooting more seriously. I prefer not to break the bank since housings for D3's cost a fortune, not to mention the ports and strobes. Does anyone on here shoot with the D3? Please let me know which strobes and accessories would be best.

I have been considering playing around with the Ewa-Marine U-BXP100 since it is rated to 150', but it sure looks flimsy.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Thanks for the input, and no I really do not trust a zip lock bag.

I have thought about buying a Canon G11 and getting the housing and strobes. The macro photos on landlook incredible form that camera.

Unfortunatly there is no Ikelite housing for the D3 and the choice of other housings is very limitated to rather expensive ones.
The G11 is a incredible camera and the best of it's class this moment and with a Ikelite, Patima or Fix housing she performs very well under water,but a decent DSLR will still be better.
Consider that a G11, Ikelite housing, tray and ball arms and one D-2000 strobe will cost already +/- 1800$, the Patima or FIX aluminium housing will be 600$ more and another D-2000 with arm 600$ more.
For this amount you may get a complete used DSLR rig with a out of production but still good camera.

Chris

Absolutly is the G11 a incredible camera compared to the D3.
She is:
- incredibel small, comparing to a D3
- incredible good image quality for a P&S
- incredible manual controls for a P&S
- incredible handy to work with for a P&S

Said that, you never can compare a professional D-SLR with a P&S, even the best of it's class as you would compare apples and oranges as they have complete different targets.
Searching the internet about the G11 you will find inumerous article about the G10/G11.

Chris

I wouldn't go so far as saying the G11 point and shoot is an incredible camera compared to the full frame DSLR D3, but it a really nice camera to bring undewater and housing brand such as a fisheye or Ikelite will give you full controls acess over your exposure,

For strobes I would look at Inon and in your case, the Inon Z-240 as it will accept sync cord essential for connecting it to an eventual D3 housing. that's the thing, I suspect you must be doing pro work, if you have 3 of thoses, so shooting P&S no matter how good, will get under your skin at one point, so get stuff that can migrate well to a DSLR system,

Also consider about a less expensive, smaller and lighter D300s and its housing instead of absolutely having to put a D3 in a bulky, expensive and heavy housing. (they are quite large and heavy BTW), also and I'm in that category, I do find the lens choice in DX to be better suited for undewater work, if only for the Tokina 10-17mm, by a long shots the most used wide angle lens underwater.

Last edited:
Jean,

I may buy a used D300 or D90 and go that route. Although, I just ordered a D3s, so I am not buying anything for another month or two. Yes, I do work as a pro photog. Thanks everyone for the input.

Back
Top Bottom