Advice on aiming my life towards diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps countries with historic ties to the Netherlands may grant easier permits? For example the Dutch islands of the Caribbean?

Be prepared to live a life of voluntary simplicity, but one full of wonderful experiences (speaking as one who took that route for a good portion of my life).

Thanks guys for all the replies! Experiences are worth a whole lot more than money, as long as you can sustain it of course but anyway.

Thanks for the tip in Dumaguete, heard the same from someone else. Any specific diving school you would recommend? Liquid Dumaguete was tipped by the other one.

I did my dm and PADI IDC and IE on Boracay, Philippines, 1999. You can live there pretty cheap...or at least you could back in the 90s. Eat local foods, stay out of the night clubs and be willing to show up early, sweep the shop and service regs etc. Get to know some people and if you're hard working and reliable, you'll find a job.
The Caribbean is a lot more expensive to live in compared to the Philippines and Malaysia. And the diving's not as good...imo.
You could live well for a year on US$15,000 if you're smart. Even longer....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom