Advice on starter gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with what every one is saying - especially about the mask. I just got certified myself, and the LDS was great about having everyone try on different styles of masks in the pool to find which one fit them the best. I think I must have tried out a half dozen or more masks the first day we were in the pool. As far as price, they were running a special at the time that you got mask/fins/snorkel/booties for $125. All the dive shops that I considered getting certified through either had student packages or a percentage off discount.

I may dive from tropical paradise to muddy lakes in Wisconsin, from 80+ degrees to less than 50. I have a tropical tri-density, a 3mm, a 5mm, and a 7mm semi-dry (of course I may have that for sale I just got a dry-suit) Had I bought them at a LDS I would have spent close to $1000 dollars (all were new) online I spent about 600 with over half of that for the 7mm semi-dry. Try on at LDS, buy online. As far as regulators and BC, I bought mine online for $60 total (both in one sale) I had them checked over at the LDS for an additional $60 and have used them for over 60 dives. Just had them rechecked (this cost 90 bucks) and plan to dive for another year or two with them.

I agree, masks, snorkels and fins should be bought so you can try them on. Once you find a wetsuit size that fits, buy online, other equipment, buy where you get the best value for the dollar.

Mike

rotorboy:
I start my OW Certification in a few weeks and I'm currently shopping around for my gear. I seem to be drawn to the X-Pert Zoom Dive Package from ScubaToys. I've noticed (like any other hooby) gear is cheaper online than in the stores. The Xpert package consist of Tusa Xpert zoom fins, Genesis panoramic mask w/ softstrap, splash snorkel, a pair of booties, and a mesh bag for $199. This is within the budget I had allocated for these. Can anyone give me some feedback on these or if they know of a similar package within the same price rage. I am new to all this so I'm a little lost when it comes to gear (Pro's and con's of different brands). Also, I'm going to need a weight belt. They suggested soft weights instead of lead.....Are these better? Seems to be a comfort issue. One last question.....wet suits...I live in Florida and plan on doing (in the begining at least) most of my dives in these waters. What type of wet suit would you recommend for these waters? I'm considerin investing in one from the get go. Thanks in advance!! Eddie

Try on the mask before you buy it. As long as it is a good fit and you
have a good field of vision you should be fine.

Wet suits-depends on how quickly you get cold and the diving you do.
I use a 3mm in the springs but get cold after the second dive. 3mm should
be fine for you to start with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom