Advice on waterproof housings for an insulin pump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ketch12

Registered
Reaction score
My neighbor is taking her son to Fl for vacation and is looking for advice on waterproof/sand-proof housings that would protect his insulin pump over a entire day in and out of the water at the beach. He's not diving, only playing in the ocean, but I thought that this might be a great community to ask about creative options for keeping an insulin pump protected. The pump does have a very small tube that runs to the insertion point on the body, so any housing needs to allow the tube to exit while still being water tight. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Just a note, be sure to check if the insulin pump case is rated for immersion or not. If it is not, then your neighbor's son probably can't go frolicking in the waves; he'll have to keep the pack above water as much as possible to be safe.

Just a note, be sure to check if the insulin pump case is rated for immersion or not. If it is not, then your neighbor's son probably can't go frolicking in the waves; he'll have to keep the pack above water as much as possible to be safe.

A little south of the topic but I would also strongly recommend a chat with his doctor. I would be more worried about the insertion site, is it safe to enter the water with an insulin tube at all? There's a big difference between showering with it in place and full body immersion, even at shallow depths.

Last edited:
I found that my dr knew very little about scuba and therefore I did not see value/trust in talking to him about it.

Some of the pumps are water proof. If he likes water it would seem to make sense to look into this. However if there is not a common thing. I personally would just remove pump for 1 hour while I was in the water. You would just need to make sure you make the right ajustments after words and of course not carb load at the beach snack bar.

Highflier

PS. I have a pump but I use novalog pens and not the pump. I really should look into changing that.

I found that my dr knew very little about scuba and therefore I did not see value/trust in talking to him about it.

Some of the pumps are water proof. If he likes water it would seem to make sense to look into this. However if there is not a common thing. I personally would just remove pump for 1 hour while I was in the water. You would just need to make sure you make the right ajustments after words and of course not carb load at the beach snack bar.

Highflier

PS. I have a pump but I use novalog pens and not the pump. I really should look into changing that.
Your doctor should at least be able to advise you on whether or not you can swim or shower with the device. Worst case scenario you can't use the pump while at the pool or beach but use the whatever type insulin pen is prescribed by your doctor. The pens have the advantage do not require refrigeration so any cooler used to keep drinks cold would be adequate for the pens.

Diabetes is a very strong relative contraindication for diving anyways due to risk passing out from low blood sugar underwater which would likely be fatal if it occurs. Some diver's may take the risk but most doctors wouldn't clear you with diabetes.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2012 at 09:35 PM ----------

You might look into the housings used for swimming with iPods. Not sure if the pump will fit but might accommodate the tubing.

Ditto BrotherBear above; make sure he minds the insertion site.

Re diabetes and diving: this continues to be a topic of debate, but most diving docs will clear a well-educated, well-controlled diabetic with some caveats. I know this has been linked before, but here are the UHMS/DAN recommendations that may be used as a reference for practitioners and others interested in the subject.

I choose to live and enjoy life. Thus I do dive :)
That said, I have been refused service from dive shops when on vacations (Aruba., St. Lucia and a few pothers.) As a result I now have a don't tell policy. while that does sound bad it is just the way I must behave.

On the safer side. My wife also dives, I would not dive without her on a vacation. Thus if there is a issue she would be able to at least report what was going on. When I dive locally. There is no need for my deception as others will know about my condition.

I have read the guidelines and while it was once considered unacceptable to dive there is now guidelines that say it is ok to dive, and for the most part I agree with them.

1) No Decompression dives. This is a big one, since if I do start to get ill, I can be on the surface rather quickly with little concerns for DCS.
2) Start the dive with slightly high Blood suger. Diving just like any other sport will tend to lower blood sugars. A slightly high Blood sugar for limited times will not cause any major issue. However a low bloodsugar can be a major issue above or below water.

In addition I always take a can of Regular Coke with me. That way if I feel low when I get back to the boat, I have a quick sugar source.

I personally have always been able to tell when my Blood sugar is low and thus I have never blacked out. If I did not have a good sense of a low, I am not so sure how I would feel about diving.

Legal disclaimer
All this said. I am not a Dr. Therefore I do not recommend any of this to other diabetes. This is simple the sharing of one persons believes, right or wrong.

I know this is last years post but the question about storing a pump while playing in the waves wasnt really answered. The answers were scuba focused

If the kid is going to be in and out of the water, snorkeling or splashing. I would recommend leaving the pump in the the room in the AC, since storing it anywhere in the sun could cause it to become overheated and cook the insulin. The most popular brand of pump is made by medtronic and is NO longer certified water proof due to cracks developing in the case. Ive never been one to swim or shower with my pump. I just am mindful to not disconnect for more than about 90 min MAX.

If the family has a secure place to leave a cooler at the beach just get a dry box from pelican ( or a zip lock ) to store the pump in the cooler - it will keep the sand and water out while he plays.

Im type 1 on a pump and when I dive, at My Drs recommendation, I take a small amount of long acting insulin ( approx 40% of daily basal as Lantus ) and leave the pump in the room in the AC. Its more secure there. I wouldn't want to lose a $5000 pump on vacation to a petty thief. The long acting insulin along with the additional activity keeps my BG in good shape. I take a BG meter and some carbs with me and often a Short acting insulin pen. That way I can bolus for lunch while away from the pump. Using Long acting means I can stay disconnected with confidence all day.

It seems that some here are of the opinion that divers should be limited to 20 something triathletes with perfect health. I disagree. ;-)
Yes diving as a type 1 is risky, but going to sleep is also risky, cant consume glucose while sleeping either. ;-)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom