advice wanted re. purchasing property in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is it not easy to sell a property if it is easy to buy one?

The pool of buyers is very shallow. You must find someone that values it close to what you value it - some sell fast, some sit for years

Why is it not easy to sell a property if it is easy to buy one?
obviously it would depend on the inventory levels at the time, but in general, i would say there are more people selling than there are buying. everything is for sale in playa. lol

Though I don't own, I know people who do in Cozumel. The gist of their experiences below. Several of these points have been mentioned above.

1, You always have to come up with the total price to buy - no loans unless there is owner financing.
2. No title insurance. Find a reputable Realtor, Notary & Lawyer. Get references.
3. Don't count on paying your expenses from renting.
4. Upkeep can be a real $$ Pit - things rust, break and mold in the tropics, quickly.
5. Electricity is horrendously expensive. A friend who leaves her condo in the summer has to keep the AC on so things don't mold.
6. If you need to sell, don't count on selling fast. There are properties that have been for sale for years...
7. Hurricanes happen here.
8. Do you speak Spanish?
9. A friend who comes to Cozumel for 5+/- months of the year unexpectedly inherited money & considered buying. "The Dream" , right? After looking at properties & crunching the numbers she realized she could come for the next 20 years, rent the nicest villa possible and spend a fraction of the money she would spend buying. And she'd have none of the maintenance costs.
10. If you have the disposable $ to invest, see yourself visiting a lot, or retiring here it can be a good thing. Obviously there are many ex-pat owners on the island. But first, come down for a few months, experience all seasons, RENT & stay awhile... and then see if this is for you.

Though I don't own, I know people who do in Cozumel. The gist of their experiences below. Several of these points have been mentioned above.

1, You always have to come up with the total price to buy - no loans unless there is owner financing.
2. No title insurance. Find a reputable Realtor, Notary & Lawyer. Get references.
4. Upkeep can be a real $$ Pit - things rust, break and mold in the tropics, quickly.
5. Electricity is horrendously expensive. A friend who leaves her condo in the summer has to keep the AC on so things don't mold.
6. If you need to sell, don't count on selling fast. There are properties that have been for sale for years...
8. Do you speak Spanish?
9. A friend who comes to Cozumel for 5+/- months of the year unexpectedly inherited money & considered buying. "The Dream" , right? After looking at properties & crunching the numbers she realized she could come for the next 20 years, rent the nicest villa possible and spend a fraction of the money she would spend buying. And she'd have none of the maintenance costs.
10. If you have the disposable $ to invest, see yourself visiting a lot, or retiring here it can be a good thing. Obviously there are many ex-pat owners on the island. But first, come down for a few months, experience all seasons, RENT & stay awhile... and then see if this is for you.
Excellent points. I think #9 is spot on and really key. I think this applies to most people's situation when considering a purchase anywhere in paradise. Unless you really believe you will come out way ahead, why even add something else in your life to worry about?

The first 432 people who send me $5000.00 can come and visit and stay at my new place for two weeks every year for the next 5 years.
That's only $500 per week for luxury accommodations.

Hurry and act fast, space is limited to the first 432 smart divers.

Send money today before someone else buys this place.

You need to stay a minimum of 6 months without leaving country to obtain.

It took me far less than a total of 6 months to get permanent residency, and I was out of the country for all but a few weeks of that time.

The gist of their experiences below.

8. Do you speak Spanish?

Very much this. We've owned our house for 12 years and I wouldn't have it any other way, but I can't make any convincing arguments that it makes good economic sense - #9 is spot-on. For a while now it's been paying its own way through rentals but I really hate having renters in what I now think of as my true home so that's going to stop.

Back
Top Bottom