Advise on Nikon D200 Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both the 12-24mm and the 10.5mm. For down south tropical stuff, I prefer the 12-24mm to give me a bit more flexibility in shooting larger animals. The 10.5mm is fine, but you really do have to get close.

For local wreck shots, I love the 10.5mm, definitely over the 12-24mm. I use twin DS-125s to get full coverage.

Because the barrel length of the two lenses are different, you cannot use the same port setup. You should be able to used the same 8" dome (5510.40) but change the port extension depending on which lens you are using. For the 12-24mm you want the 5510.24 and for the 10.5mm you want 5510.10.

I have the 12-24mm, it works pretty well underwater, although I don't have that much experience with it to date. Topside it's a great lens, I use it all the time.

I've heard great review about the 10.5mm fisheye and would like to add that to the camera bag someday. Has any body used the Nikon 14mm f/2.8 aspherical lens? Now THAT one sound truly wonderful!!

We just back from a trip to Bonaire and the viz was not good for wide angle so we used the 60mm and the 105mm for the whole trip.

We have a 20mm for wide angle with the small dome port as neither of us likes using the (too darn big) large dome port.

fpoole:
Hmmm... Interesting...
So money not being considered (it just hurts a lot to get it)
Me thinks the list would be :
10.5mm
60mm
105mm vr

Great, that kinda what I was thinking but tossing about the 10.5 vs 16mm...
so will get the 10.5..
thanks much.. I hope Mike, Dive Guy, found it helpful too...
now...?? onto the Inons... heheh... does it never end... ;-))

I agree with your choice and the order. I really don't see why people think the 10.5mm is hard, I got great pictures on my first dive with the lense. It didn't take long to realize that you need to have your strobes way out of the way and even a little behind to make sure they aren't caught in the picutre.

I took this picture on my first dive with the 10.5mm and fell in love with it (I was borrowing one) so I bought one as soon as the dive ended. I was probably only 1' or less to the subject when I took this shot, so I just work it as if I was shooting close up macro with the 60mm lense which also requires you to get really close if you want to get that nice shot.

picture-25.jpg

Rich - took this picture on my first dive with the 10.5mm and fell in love with it

Looking good Rich.. only 1' away... seems like 3' in the photo, which I guess is what WA is all about.. thanx for the confirmation... looking good...

If you are new to SLR photography then I would suggest the 60mm and the 12-24 purely for versatility. Then when you get the hang of things, add the 105 and the 10.5 as these really will offer new opportunities and look to your pictures.

However, when asking the questions, you have to consider where you will be diving and what you want to shoot.

Like Warren, I tend to dive in cold waters with poor vis meaning I really don't want any more water between me and the subject than I can get away with. This means that I will use the 60mm and 10.5mm. If I don't know what to expect on a site then it's invariably.

If you dive in clear blue waters and want small macro life then go for the 105mm - you won't have to get so close to the subject and so have less risk of spooking the thing.

Top Line is, it's 'horses for courses'.

Having said that, over time you will find that you will have all 4 of the above lenses regardless.

Bottom Line is that if you're good enough, you'll get great pictures no matter what you use.

I have a question for those using the Nikon 105 D (the non-vr macro version).

What is the length of the lens (not incluing bayonet mount)? Does the lens get longer as you focus?

I'm asking because Nikon's specs list the length as 3.3", while Sea and Sea says I need to add a port extension to my flat port. But measuring my housing, a 3.3" lens would fit in my housing without an extension.

Thanks,
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom