AED or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Novice_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm am thinking of purchasing an AED for our diving club. Does anyone have experience with these? And what are your opinions about having one at the diving site?
Are there any reasons why we shouldn't have one?

I have some experience with them (all training, thankfully). They certainly couldn't hurt. I would recommend getting a class to train everyone in the club. May prove lifesaving in other situations that aren't dive related.

Novice_diver:
I'm am thinking of purchasing an AED for our diving club. Does anyone have experience with these? And what are your opinions about having one at the diving site?
Are there any reasons why we shouldn't have one?

AED's are wonderful! I can see no reason for you not to have one at the dive sites... Speaking as a Paramedic I wish more people had them! Early defib is extremely important... I am an AED/FAR Instructor and I would suggest that you receive some training in the use of an AED as well...AED's are extremely easy to operate however they are not to be used on children and infants under 8 years of age. CPR alone will not reverse cardiac arrest, but it does buy time until someone arrives with an automated external defibrillator. Having one on-site is a great idea. Most shopping centers and workplaces are now investing in an AED. AED's are very reliable and they have a built-in-rhtyhm analysis systems that determine whether the victim needs a shock. This enables a wide range of people to deliver early defib, with only minimal training required...

If it's in your budget, get the AED.

When I took my AED class I was amazed at how studies show that CPR alone rarely if ever saves someone. Defibrillation gives the victim a much better chance.

mer:
If it's in your budget, get the AED.

When I took my AED class I was amazed at how studies show that CPR alone rarely if ever saves someone. Defibrillation gives the victim a much better chance.
As a former medic and current First Aid and CPR/AED instructor I can't tell you how funny we used to find those episodes of Baywatch where they were doing CPR and the person coughs/sits up/ and says thank you....BWWAAAAAHAAAA, that's some funny (and ridiculously inacurate) stuff.

Queen:
As a former medic and current First Aid and CPR/AED instructor I can't tell you how funny we used to find those episodes of Baywatch where they were doing CPR and the person coughs/sits up/ and says thank you....BWWAAAAAHAAAA, that's some funny (and ridiculously inacurate) stuff.

As an RT and EMT-I, it amuses me how far from reality even shows such as ER can be, let alone drivel like Baywatch. LOL

Where in Central IL are you at Queen? I work over in IL.

If you have the bucks, do it. Get everyone trained in how to use it.

When you carry it, let the folks at the front office of the dive site know you are on site, that you have one, and where you are.

TwoBit

Like Queen, I'm an CPR/First Aid/AED instructor.. let me tell you that there are some SERIOUS benefits to having such a device on site for cardiac emergencies. Definitely take training, if you can get several folks in your group trained, so all the life saving steps are followed and applied should that need ever arise.

Where do you live?

Where do you live?[/QUOTE]

I live in Holland ( Den Helder to be exact)
I thank you all for your advice. Off course we will do training before using it. I was already convinced that we should have one, and I havent read any disadvantages. So I will propose to buy one in our next meeting
Thanks to you all.

Back
Top Bottom