AED Use...Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sean C

Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a patient, who you suspect is having a heart attack or arrest, and the patient is responsive; do you apply an AED or not?

Assuming the AED could correct a problem that it would seem reasonable to use the equipment if possible. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Sean

A patient in VF will not be conscious and responsive.

I'm not sure what the protocols are in your area for the application of an AED but the unit would not (should not) shock someone who is conscious and responsive (not in VF.)

If you applied it and turned it on, it would say something like "shock not advised" unless a dangerous dysrythmia that was fixable by countershock was analyzed. It wouldn't hurt; it just wouldn't let you shock 'em.

You could be concious for awhile in ventricular tachycardia and that is a rhythm that is correctable by an AED.

Tony.

To summarize for my own knowledge. The application of an AED is advisable under the stated circumstances, assuming the unit will not initiate treatment if it is not warrented. This was a bit of a grey area when my wife and I did our training. I have heard arguements for both positions and I would hate to delay possible treatment if it were available. I just wanted some more informed opinions.

Thanks for the replies.

Sean

Sean C:
To summarize for my own knowledge. The application of an AED is advisable under the stated circumstances,
NO IT IS NOT!

You should NOT use an AED on a responsive patient just because you think they are having a heart attack. AED use is contraindicated by "signs of life". I know this is true in Maryland and Virginia and while protocols do vary I find it hard to believe any jurisdiction would condone using an AED on a conscious patient.

assuming the unit will not initiate treatment if it is not warrented.
An AED will do several things automagically for you but you need to keep your brain turned on. Relying on the unit to magically solve the problem is asking for trouble.

This was a bit of a grey area when my wife and I did our training. I have heard arguements for both positions and I would hate to delay possible treatment if it were available.
If you're worried about the patient, go ahead and get the AED. You can even set it up if you want. But do not attach it to the patient. Do not press the analyze button. And if they are sitting there talking to you, DO NOT push the shock button!

Sean C:
This was a bit of a grey area when my wife and I did our training.
It may have been grey to you and your wife. I'll bet your instructor would clear it up for you (in a heartbeat) if you told him you wanted to hook him up to a live machine, though. :wink:

reefraff:
It may have been grey to you and your wife. I'll bet your instructor would clear it up for you (in a heartbeat) if you told him you wanted to hook him up to a live machine, though. :wink:

I've hooked myself up to a live unit before as a demonstration for one of my classes...

I've hooked myself up to a live unit before as a demonstration for one of my classes...

I havent kept up with the sensing algorithms but there is always the posibility of motion artifact, caused by conn etc. giving the right info and firing. I worked on defribrillators for nearly 20 yrs and never met one I'd trust 100percent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom