Aeris Atmos XT - Fix or replace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TampaDiver68

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many, many dives on this, and its always been well maintained. But the bottoms of the accessory pocket and areas that the weight pockets slide into are all shredded. (The actual zippered weight pockets are fine and click into place without issue, and even if they unclick they will not fall out due to velcro system). The only thing I think needs to be repaired is the accessory pocket. Any way to repair this?

If not, can anyone recommend a similar replacement BCD? (I think this is a hybrid-type bladder).
As I’m into photography, I’m thinking back inflate may not be the best choice)

Many, many dives on this, and its always been well maintained. But the bottoms of the accessory pocket and areas that the weight pockets slide into are all shredded. (The actual zippered weight pockets are fine and click into place without issue, and even if they unclick they will not fall out due to velcro system). The only thing I think needs to be repaired is the accessory pocket. Any way to repair this?

If not, can anyone recommend a similar replacement BCD? (I think this is a hybrid-type bladder).
As I’m into photography, I’m thinking back inflate may not be the best choice)
You would have to find a dive shop that does some sewing. Mostly shops that repair drysuits.
If you decide to go new, Oceanic still makes the Atmos under their name.

Also take a look at the HOG Pro BCD it has a similar air bladder design.

The Atmos was/ is a great design I used it as a teaching BCD.

@ND5342 Thank you for this great information! I will check them out.
In the meantime, I think I found a replacement accessory pocket, which will suffice until after my April trip.

I checked out the Hog Pro BCD, and it looks impressive... but for me, the lack of actual weight pockets is a show stopper. For diving off zodiaks, we take our weight pockets out and hand them up separately before removing our gear to hand up to crew... this would be not be possible with this BCD.

I checked out the Hog Pro BCD, and it looks impressive... but for me, the lack of actual weight pockets is a show stopper. For diving off zodiaks, we take our weight pockets out and hand them up separately before removing our gear to hand up to crew... this would be not be possible with this BCD.
I can understand that. However I cannot tell you how many times I find weight pockets at dive sites. At least it is easy to tell with the Atmos that the weight pocket is connected on the outside. So many of them rely on you hearing a click which can be difficult with a motor running or with a thick hood on.

The large pockets on the HOG are easy to access and I normally put only a 5 pounder in each one. The rest I put on my weight belt as I do not like to make the BCD too heavy to ditch and don in the water. I have seen a soft 10lb weight that would fit in nicely if needed as that is the most it holds any way.

Either way you got to do what works for you. Call Divers Supply in Jacksonville ask for Bob Collins and I am sure he can set you up to try either of them on and may even let you use them in their onsite pool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom