Affordable OW Certification Dive Shop near Boston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phylosopher

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi!

My partner and I are looking to do our confined water and classroom education for OW PADI certification near Boston before heading to Cozumel for our open water dives. While I recognize the importance of not going with the cheapest option, we're students and everything we've found seems to be close to ~700!

Does anyone have recommendations for more affordable and safe dive shops that can teach us the basics before we head out? Thanks!

Hi!

My partner and I are looking to do our confined water and classroom education for OW PADI certification near Boston before heading to Cozumel for our open water dives. While I recognize the importance of not going with the cheapest option, we're students and everything we've found seems to be close to ~700!

Does anyone have recommendations for more affordable and safe dive shops that can teach us the basics before we head out? Thanks!
Ever since e-learning became an option for the classwork, I've recommended doing the whole class in Coz. Set it up before you go and do all the e-learning at home. That just leaves the confined water dives as extras to do there versus the traditional referral. This will take 1 or at the most 2 extra days depending on how comfortable you are in the water. You can even speed it up a bit with some practice. The hardest skill for most people is mask clearing which you can learn ahead of time with a mask and snorkel in a pool.

Here's a couple of shops to get things started that I've either used or heard good things about. Folks with more current course experiences will probably chime in as well and you should give more weight to what they say.

BTW, there's no reason to choose PADI over SSI or NAUI for the certification agency. They are not better, they just have a bigger marketing budget. The reason not to choose them is they tend to be more expensive because they charge a lot more for eLearning. Anyway go with the instructor and total package instead of the agency.

Hi!

Yeah, nothing in the Boston/RI area is going to be much less, if any, no matter the agency. Are you willing to drive to NH? Double check the pricing that they are listing, but one of these may be worth the road trip Discover Diving Open Water Course or Open Water Diver 2024 - Divers Den Dive Shop. @lowwall ’s suggestion is good if those don’t work out.

Good luck,
Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom