Affordable underwater camera housing and camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the GoPro: I've been using Pinnacle Studio 16 & they make it very easy to export single frame stills at HD resolution. I've posted some 3D examples in my gallery, but these were resampled down to 600 pixels wide in photoshop to make them easier to free view in 3D on a monitor.

why do you NEED a strobe and can you not correct using white balance and/or filters? I mean doesn't normal above water color temperature differences mean reds are stronger or blues are stronger, etc.

As PatW already said, you can shoot RAW and correct white balance after the fact in photoshop. I've seen flash shots that look awesome that are mostly Macro shots but I haven't been willing to invest in strobes yet. I personally am using a digital rebel xt in a fantasea enclosure, but the enclosure is out of your price range (and it seems they don't make it anymore).

Osric

hey Brian

>>The photos have terrible color almost universally with few exceptions. No white balance setting makes them look natural. They're all very blue green. If you keep going up in degrees K eventually they get some ugly pinkish hue around the edges but it still looks like blue/green photos with an ugly artifical pink fringed hue around that edges that has nothing to do with reality. I set the camera in P with the white balance set to underwater mode. I tried with and without the onboard flash. The housing had a nice diffuser card for the on board flash.

This will happen with any underwater camera without a strobe.

Given your budget, I'd go with the Sony RX-100 ($650) and Ikelite housing ($400) - total is $1,050 - just over your budget, and expandable if you want to add macro and wide-angle down the road. Good luck! - Scott

This will happen with any underwater camera without a strobe.

These photos are shot with a Digital Rebel XT with no strobe.

Turtle @ 85' on the deck of the YO-257, Oahu

IMG_3968_YO_Turtle.jpg

Diver @ 80-90', Oahu

IMG_4021_Anna_Harlequin.jpg

I have chosen these images to demonstrate that white balance does make a difference, even at depth. Better results are to be had at 40' of course.

Osric

Im fairly new to UW photography but I have been shooting topside for nearly 4 years.
I was supposed to get an Ikelite housing for my LX5 which costs around $580.
Then I figured maybe I could go for the used stuff and I was able to get a used S95 and a used WP DC38 for a little under $400. Still have some cash left over for a decent strobe and a wetlens + adapter.

Btw, if you shoot in RAW, you won't need to worry about white balance.

Olympus seems to be having a sale in he xz-1 at amazon for 199usd.. that is a good deal for a very good camera. Then go grab a uw casing. Not too ex also.

Not sure if this helps out any, but I thought I'd tell you about my (as yet untested) solution. My girlfriend and I are novice divers (20 dives each), and she's been dying for an UW camera to try out. I'm convinced that for us, photography won't be worth the extra difficulty. Especially since both of us know our way around SLRs (no, we're not experts, but SLRs have definitely affected our opinions on what a good picture looks like). Anyway, with a lot of patience, I found a cheap trial camera. For $100 on CL, I found an old Canon S70 with the waterproof case. I remember when this camera came out in 2004, it was a very well-respected P&S, with some manual settings. It's not super-high resolution (7MP), but shoots in RAW. And I won't get heartbroken if we flood it. So, anyway, you might keep that idea in mind. Premium P&S cameras will take great pics topside no matter how old they are. We have yet to dive with this (10 days out from a trip), so I don't know how terrible it will be at depth. Yes, I know that going cheap, strobe-free, and minimalist isn't a great way to get gorgeous pics. But it's a great way to try the experience out without taking out a second mortgage. If we can get REASONABLE pics with this setup, it might be worth trying out something fancier.

Good luck!

I have a Canon SD970 & Ikelite housing & tons of extra at a low price... link to thread - Will throw in 16gb SD card too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom