After 6 years . . . Cave 1 redux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was bored today, and went back and read my journal of my original C1 class (Cave 1 journal). Fascinating to see the difference 6 years made.

Very nice write up Lynn. Indeed JP runs a tightly structured class (I did C1 with him) and no 12+ hour days if logistics permit. However don't you think that part of your experience has maybe less to do with being tired from long hours than the fact that all those experiences are not new to you. You have much more "bandwith" available to process all information, because much of the curriculum covered you know. So you have time and awareness to notice details, your team, how JP instructs, where he is in a cave, etc :D

When I did C1, T1 or now recently C2 all those courses were marked with the GUE steady progression of workload and taskloading, building block on building block. C1 had very reasonable hours, T1 were very long days (I remember even having to sprint to do the swimming test on the last day of the course at 9pm), and C2 started by Chris telling everybody that his course takes 6 days because he feels it's too much to cover in 5 days.

But still with all 3 courses I was very tired by the end of it, and all had those (well described by you) humps on day 3 or 4 of the course were you have the feeling you are no longer improving because you are tired and it's so much to ingest. All were very different instructors with different personalities, but the hump was there :wink:

My wife might take fundies this year, and if she does I'm planning to attend as video-diver or maybe even take it with her. I'm sure I'll still learn new stuff or get details on how to improve but I'm also very sure that this fundies class will be much less tiring for me irrelevant of the logistics and the class hours. Just because it's less to take in, less to experience.

Oh, beester, for me, you are absolutely right. It was FAR less stressful, because the material wasn't new (although it had been 5 years since I'd handled a failure :) ) and the environment wasn't strange at all. But I also watched my classmates, and they were nowhere NEAR as exhausted or discouraged as we had been, years earlier. And I think some of that is getting food and enough sleep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom