Afternoon Dives and Eastside Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about that, I did not expect Nortes to arrive so early or I would have given longer warning that we have to use that boat for the other side. Tell you what, I'll keep it at $35 until Nov 10 and we will use our regular boats leaving from the Aldora Pier downtown. Make sure to check in with our office the night before you want to go, the more the merrier.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

What an offer.

Hurray! I'll have to keep an ear out to know when it goes.

Sorry about that, I did not expect Nortes to arrive so early or I would have given longer warning that we have to use that boat for the other side. Tell you what, I'll keep it at $35 until Nov 10 and we will use our regular boats leaving from the Aldora Pier downtown. Make sure to check in with our office the night before you want to go, the more the merrier.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Dave,
When you started your other thread about this $35 afternoon dive i was your number one supporter and signed up right away for it for my trip Nov 23-27 (this was a month or two ago). Wish you can honor the deal for those of us that already booked the afternoon dives with you.
Thanks,
John

OK, till the end of November, How's that.

Dave

Is diving the east side only available during the nortes or can it be done any time?

Is diving the east side only available during the nortes or can it be done any time?

Well, when the Norte makes the westside rough, the east side gets smooth and vis versa. I know the day we were ready, the norte backed off enough to open the west side, to the east side trip didn't happen. I believe that's the only time.

Normally the east side is open during a north/northwest wind. If it is north/north east maybe not. A few degrees of wind direction makes the difference. A classic strong norte usually lets us dive the east side. However, in the summer months and when we have calm winds allow us to take boats around the north end on occasion. But in any case one needs to check in with Aldora before the opportunity so that you want to dive the east side—the logistics are very difficult for us. But if you ask those who have been there, they can confirm it is a VERY special dive.

Dave Dillehay

Well, when the Norte makes the westside rough, the east side gets smooth and vis versa. I know the day we were ready, the norte backed off enough to open the west side, to the east side trip didn't happen. I believe that's the only time.

Normally the east side is open during a north/northwest wind. If it is north/north east maybe not. A few degrees of wind direction makes the difference. A classic strong norte usually lets us dive the east side. However, in the summer months and when we have calm winds allow us to take boats around the north end on occasion. But in any case one needs to check in with Aldora before the opportunity so that you want to dive the east side—the logistics are very difficult for us. But if you ask those who have been there, they can confirm it is a VERY special dive.

Dave Dillehay

Thanks, I guess it will be a matter luck for the timing of a vacation and the arrival of a norte to combine. What months are typically best for have a strong norte come through?

January is by far the best (or worst) depending on what you want. I remember one January, I think 2002, when the port was closed for 20 out of 31 days. That was the impetus for us to explore the east side and figure out ways for our customers to dive "no matter what". Late December and all of March are nearly the same. As I write, a light Norte is hitting Houston and is expected to hit Cozumel when I arrive there tomorrow. My guess is it will not close the port, given how weak it is here.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

What months are typically best for have a strong norte come through?

1. Go to http://www.everythingcozumel.com/
2. Click on Live Cozumel Weather
3. On header click on “more” for a pull-down menu
4. Click on “Historical Weather”
5. Fill in the box for Cozumel, then fill in any date in the past
6. On the new page view, click “custom” and the type in the range of dates you want to see regarding past weather info. You’ll get some great hourly/daily rain, temperature, wind direction and wind speed historical data that you can use to help plan your visit.

Here is an example:

historical weather.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom