Aggressor vs TIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swelbo1

Registered
Reaction score
I've dove belize many times before, but we always go to Placencia. Comparing the diving and overall experience, what do y'all recommend. It is about a $1400 difference between the island vs the keyboard. Looking to go at the end of July for the 7 day stay. Thanks

One big difference is, you can get in more dives on the liveaboard.

I have never been to Placencia although it looks beautiful but I have done many dive vacations - both land-based and liveaboards, including several Aggressor boats, and we have dived in Belize on a land-based trip on Ambergris Caye and from the now discontinued Nekton liveaboard.

It depends what you like, there are pros and cons to both land-based and liveaboard dive vacations. On a land-based trip you get to experience the local culture and enjoy more topside attractions. And that is important, especially if the weather turns bad. But diving isn't always as easy on a land-based trip, sometimes you have long boat rides to the reef and you spend a lot of time dragging your gear around. And sometimes you have to put up with boatloads of amateurs or rigid divemasters with fixed protocols - although you can usually avoid some of these issues through careful research and picking the right location, resort and dive operation.

On a liveaboard the diving is usually much easier and you get many more dive opportunities. Your cost per dive on most livaboards is usually quite cheap because the trip includes lodging and meals and many dives. You also get to visit more distant and pristine reefs. If bad weather is in the forecast the captain can often alter the itinerary to find the best options - but when the weather is really bad then being stuck on a liveaboard isn't that much fun. Some of my very best night dives have been off liveaboards because they actually wait until it is really dark (not dusk) and you aren't dumped off at the reef closest to the hotel as we have experienced on some land-based night dives.

Diving is very easy off a liveaboard. You set up your gear one time and then the crew keeps refilling your tank in place and they hose it down with fresh water. You just put on your gear and step off the boat for another great dive with lots of diving freedom. The Aggressor's motto is "eat, sleep, and dive" and that is very true. There aren't a lot of non-diving opportunities although the food is usually quite good and it is a very relaxing dive vacation. The Aggressor boats are among the nicest and most comfortable we have experienced, but living on a boat is not as comfortable as a nice hotel - in my opinion.

Although we loved Belize- I remember that the mosquitos were ferocious, just walking down the beach at night could be challenging; but when we were out on the Nekton at sea there was no problem with insects. I don't know if biting insects are a problem on Placencia but that is one factor to consider. Another thing to think about is the preferences of your traveling companions, if they are not big divers than land-based trip would have more to do.

When we do a liveaboard trip we like to extend the vacation time to spend some time on land enjoying the local people and attractions and then a week on the boat to make the most of our dive opportunities.

If you love to dive then you should try a liveaboard to see how you like it. And after you do one trip with aggressor they will offer you "dive the world" discounts (25% off per person) for selected weeks and locations that can make the trips more affordable. Most liveaboard companies offer some type of discounts for repeat customers.

Good luck with your decision!

---------- Post added June 22nd, 2014 at 10:47 AM ----------

One thing I should have mentioned in my post above is seasickness. I am usually okay on land-based boat trips out to the reef and I have been fine on many liveaboards, but if there is a deep water crossing involved (like Florida to the Bahamas) I can be very miserable during the first night onboard. It passes and soon I don't have any problems but it is something to think about if you or a diving companion are prone to seasickness. I don't remember being ill when did liveaboard diving in Belize, although I had been very ill on other Nekton and Aggressor and Explorer and other liveaboard trips. I usually start taking the triptone before boarding and I eat and drink lightly on the day of departure. If I start to feel queasy I head up on deck for the fresh air and so I can stare at the horizon - that usually helps. I have slept on deck the first night on a few trips! Just trying to share all the good and bad things about both types of dive vacations!

Aggressor vs TIR

Comparing the diving and overall experience, what do y'all recommend. It is about a $1400 difference between the island vs the keyboard.

I think you're asking for a comparison of Turneffe Island Resort to the Aggressor, right?

I've never been on a liveaboard--just not for me--but I've been to TIR twice and love it. I've heard it described as like a liveaboard on land as you spend very little time going to and from the dive sites since you're already at the atoll. The big exception being the Blue Hole day as it's about an hour each way and you spend the entire day diving the area. I like to think of the place as summer camp for adults.

Biggest difference has been noted, that you'll dive more on a liveaboard. My guess is the accommodations are better at TIR. i.e., both bigger and nicer. It's likely that the food is better at TIR, too, because the food there is excellent. And obviously you'll have more room to walk around.

I'm guessing that TIR's the more expensive.

If you're struggling with the decision, flip a coin, then do the winner one year and the other the next.

Last edited:
I've never been to TIR. If you have already done Belize land based many times, I think liveaboard is the easy choice. More diving, more convenience. End of July will be hot. It will feel cooler being out on the ocean than on land.

I've never been to TIR. If you have already done Belize land based many times, I think liveaboard is the easy choice. More diving, more convenience. End of July will be hot. It will feel cooler being out on the ocean than on land.
Anyplace is cooler than south Louisiana. I think we are going to TIR. My wife has been sick for quite a while and I think it would be best for her p, even though we would like 5 dives a day.

Back
Top Bottom