Air 'conservation'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another idea to throw out there;

I am also an air pig (Air pigs of the world, Unite!), I have a regular buddy who would always have extra psi when I had to hit dry land and, frankly, it was pissing me off. So I started experimenting and found a few things that helped. First I really worked on my trim and streamlining my gear (tethering my console, stowing the octo...). I found that I could move forward with much less effort, which helped alot. The second thing, I had mostly been leading the dives, which for us meant I was ahead of him and usually slightly deeper. We found that this made it easier for us to keep an eye on each other, but, of course, being deeper (even a little bit) my breaths had to be at a higher pressure and for a fixed volume (ei. lungs!) This means I was using a little more air with each breath. Now, when we dive I send him ahead a little and try to stay a meter or two (I'm canadian, forgive the metric) above him. You might try something like this with your dive buddies, ei. staying on the upside of a slope from them, being above them on the wall, whatever. It might only make a slight improvement but it's cheaper than new tanks so probably worth a try.

Charlie99:
This would be even more useful for the E7-100, which gets 8 pounds lighter during the dive. The AL80 only gets 6 pounds lighter. The real answer is to get your initial weighting right.
While your answer (get your weighting right) is correct, the major difference between the AL80 and the E7-100 is that the AL80 swings from negatively to positively buoyant as it empties. The E7-100 gets 8# more buoyant, but never gets positively buoyant. Properly weightted, that shouldn't matter. Unfortunately lots of people never work on being properly weighted, ever. :(

The original poster stated you could remove weight by switching to a steel tank from an AL80. That is true. I can also remove two pounds from my belt when I dive my steel E8-119 as opposed to my steel Faber LP95s. :wink:

Jimmie

Another big difference is 20 additional cubic feet of air in the same size package. I've seen new divers dive the E7-100 and do very well because they weren't overweighted and didn't have to pile on the weight to descend.

I also love the E8-119, but it is heavy.

My most effective diving tip: Fold your hands together on every dive. So much energy is wasted in trying to manouever with your hands. Learn to use your fins ONLY! :D

Second most effective diving tip: SWIM! Laps in the pool mean extra time under water. :D

NetDoc:
My most effective diving tip: Fold your hands together on every dive. So much energy is wasted in trying to manouever with your hands. Learn to use your fins ONLY! :D

Second most effective diving tip: SWIM! Laps in the pool mean extra time under water. :D

Now that I can do. I'm just sitting here trying to understand all the jargon <newbie>! I'll learn.

Good tips all, ta.

Charlie99:
I don't know if it's the same for others, but I find aerobics or general physical shape doesn't change my resting or loafing-around-the reef SAC. Being in good aerobic shape does keep down the natural rise in SAC that results from heavy finning.

We are talking about a NEW diver :)

You Charlie are an EXPERIENCED diver :)

And I am an OLD diver :)

Paul in VT

Miss Mollusc:
Now that I can do. I'm just sitting here trying to understand all the jargon <newbie>! I'll learn.

Good tips all, ta.

If you don't understand something, just ask. We promise to bury and confuse you with page after page of even more mystifying cyberdivebabble.:D

scubafool:
If you don't understand something, just ask. We promise to bury and confuse you with page after page of even more mystifying cyberdivebabble.:D

Aww thanks :) Basically I know how to set up, put on, check and get in. I hire the stuff (impoverished student) and take what they give me. I'm small but ridiculously buoyant so take 12kg of weights. Would an integrated weights BCD be better? So if I have a heavier tank (larger capacity), I can therefore (logically) lose some weights? Need to sort out my buoyancy situation. Will surely help the air issue.

Forgive the ignorance :babycrawl , you all sound so pro! :)

:newbie:

Miss Mollusc:
Aww thanks :) Basically I know how to set up, put on, check and get in. I hire the stuff (impoverished student) and take what they give me. I'm small but ridiculously buoyant so take 12kg of weights. Would an integrated weights BCD be better? So if I have a heavier tank (larger capacity), I can therefore (logically) lose some weights? Need to sort out my buoyancy situation. Will surely help the air issue.

Poor buoyancy and hoovering are the evil cojoined twins. Steel is your friend, Miss Mollusc. Ever thought about a stainless steel backplate? Combined with a steel cylinder, you have the Full Metal Jacket of scuba diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom