"Air Service Only" band on regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SP regs you have are nitrox compatible/O2 clean out of the box,

since when does the MK16 come "o2 clean out of the box" ? do you have any reference to back that up?

The MK16 isn't made anymore, but the MK17 for example states it's not compatible with 100% O2

click on parameters tab of this link.
MK17 - SCUBAPRO

The shop was Scuba Sciences in Phoenix, AZ. Service in March 2010.

as the others said... it's a scam.

it's no wonder that Scuba Sciences has gone out of business. (in my opinion).

by the way.... if they didn't do it, then MOST LIKELY they aren't following the MK16 rebuild procedure from Scuba Pro, which states it must use CHRISTOLUBE OXYGEN COMPATIBLE LUBRICANT. P/N 41-047-000 per page 2 of this below document.

http://www.divesafety.net/files/MK16RepairGuide.pdf

Either that or they did it and just want to simply scam you out of more money for a "nitrox use approved" sticker.

at the same time.... I can blame this paranoia on ScubaPro itself....

at this link, ScubaPro says':

1st stage maintenance - SCUBAPRO

Warning: If a Nitrox dedicated SCUBAPRO regulator has been used with standard compressed air it is then compulsory to perform a new maintenance and comply with the cleaning procedure specifically designed for the use of Nitrox mixes and carried out by an Authorized SCUBAPRO technician, before using them again with Nitrox.​

The above is true with higher grade mixes (over 40% or 50%), but not with normal EAN32.

Thanks for the many comments. They confirm what I suspected, it's a scam to sell me the higher priced Nitrox service and unnecessary for typical nitrox use.

They are a SP shop and since the band says "Serviced to manufacturers specs" I couldn't imagine they would make it non-compatible with SP specs.

This is the kind of stuff that is driving LDS's out of business. Thinking that their customers are stupid or do not have access to the internet. These shops need to be exposed so that the good ones stand out more clearly. What's the name of the shop? You'd be helping fellow divers by letting them know what they are in for if the deal with this place.

And this is the kind of business practices some in the industry are trying to preserve? Keeping the consumer in the dark?

The shop was Scuba Sciences in Phoenix, AZ. Service in March 2010.

Scuba Sciences of Phoenix closed its doors in June of 2011. FYI. Thread in SW Sand Sharks, I believe.

Strangely enough, I dug out the instruction manual that came with the regulator and even though it covers a number of SP regulators, nowhere does it mention any type of gas. But it does say "Air cylinders should be filled with quality compressed air only (in accordance with EN132)".

Not very helpful in determining it's capabilities.

Strangely enough, I dug out the instruction manual that came with the regulator and even though it covers a number of SP regulators, nowhere does it mention any type of gas. But it does say "Air cylinders should be filled with quality compressed air only (in accordance with EN132)".

Not very helpful in determining it's capabilities.
see joined PDF
View attachment 271.pdf

since when does the MK16 come "o2 clean out of the box" ? do you have any reference to back that up?

The MK16 isn't made anymore, but the MK17 for example states it's not compatible with 100% O2

click on parameters tab of this link.
MK17 - SCUBAPRO

Afraid I don't. I was just generalizing from what I've heard with newer regs. I could be wrong entirely as is the case with Mk17's.

Back
Top Bottom