Air Source or Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you are considering an i3 BC in another thread, the bouyancy control issues in an OOA ascent are a non issue. Also, the dimension BC has a right shoulder dump in addition to the i3 and the airsource 3 has a pull to dump feature so you never have to remove the airsource from your mouth. And the first thing you'll want to do after your first drill is replace the cheap mouthpiece. And consider getting a minimum 40" hose for your primary. An underarm routing with 90* elbow works great for this (personally prefer it to any other routing) or you can go with a 60" primary and do the under the shoulder, around the head type DIR routing.

One thing of note, due to the length necessary for use as an octo, most airsources, including AL, are long and dangly. I actually keep mine on a mini retractor to keep it from hanging down. The retractor attached to BC via push pin type screw, retractor clip attached to airsource via an o ring for tear-away purposes. And yes, it easily reaches my mouth while connected and overhead to dump air if needed without detaching the retractor.

I love my Scubapro AIR2 and never have any problem with it. However, my kids are on regular octo's and there's nothing wrong with them either, except for the few times where they get spanked when the octo got loose and made contact with the reef.

If money is an issue, you may consider a lower-end octo: the Legend octo is overkill for rec diving.

Can you dump air without removing it from your mouth?

Yes, by grasping the hose about half way up and pulling... Pull activated dump. Also have a right shoulder dump and an i3 inflator dump. All accessible with my left hand. The i3 isn't easily accessed with my right hand without some effort. If I can't get rid of excess buoyancy without removing the reg from my mouth, there's a whole hell of a lot that's gone wrong. in that case, remove, dump, replace. Repeat as needed.

---------- Post Merged at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:24 AM ----------

What's important, and what the OP should understand, is that no matter the rig you buy, you need to learn it, practice it, think about it, adjust as needed and practice it some more.

Yes, by grasping the hose about half way up and pulling... Pull activated dump. Also have a right shoulder dump and an i3 inflator dump. All accessible with my left hand. The i3 isn't easily accessed with my right hand without some effort. If I can't get rid of excess buoyancy without removing the reg from my mouth, there's a whole hell of a lot that's gone wrong. in that case, remove, dump, replace. Repeat as needed.

My consideration is exactly that.. what happens when "a whole hell of a lot has gone wrong"... air-sharing to a panic-stricken buddy, having to bring them to the surface, controlling buoyancy for both etc etc. That's why I prefer the simplicity of a regular octo - no other established skill-set has to be changed in the event of air-sharing, so all ingrained skills cumulated over previous diving still apply. It seems like using an Air2 type system deprives the diver of that level of familiarity and reflex function - adding more stress and difficulty to an already stressful and difficult situation.

That said, it is a case of practice. I would guess that a lot of practice would be needed to get truly comfortable and fluid under those circumstances - but that's a commitment I guess most people are willing to make in order to use that gear?

After taking the rescue course I ditched my AirSource2 and got a conventional inflator and octo. As stated by others it is one more thing to keep track of when ascending with a buddy breathing off your primary, and I decided I wouldn't want that complication if in a stressful situation.

After taking the rescue course I ditched my AirSource2 and got a conventional inflator and octo. As stated by others it is one more thing to keep track of when ascending with a buddy breathing off your primary, and I decided I wouldn't want that complication if in a stressful situation.

Yup, my rescue course was done with my dive buddy. He was using air source and was an issue during most drills. I

what I don't like about my airsource (Air2)

It has slightly longer hose & its heavy - it hangs down ... (I dive holding it to my chest even though I have an O ring around the hose to upper D ring on shoulder strap to help when I'm not holding it)

It requires a longer hose on your primary (actually, that's a good thing) ... try to air share with the stock length hose that comes on a regulator and you'll find that "arms length" will be trying to pull the reg out of your buddy's mouth ... (I have a 42" primary hose, routed under my arm. right angle fitting at regulator .. much better)

Will require replacing it with a normal regulator if you decide your diving will advance into other areas beside OW ... (I have purchased another G250HP like my primary because I will be changing it out eventually)

What I like about it ...
Forced me to get a longer hose on my primary and that I trained to donate it to my buddy

... air-sharing to a panic-stricken buddy, having to bring them to the surface, controlling buoyancy for both etc etc...

The way we (the CMAS guys) are taught to deal with this is to dump my air, and use the "panic-stricken buddy"'s inflator/dump to control ascent.

The way I choose to deal with this is to avoid diving with a buddy that panic-prone. :)

what I don't like about my airsource (Air2)

It requires a longer hose on your primary (actually, that's a good thing) ... try to air share with the stock length hose that comes on a regulator and you'll find that "arms length" will be trying to pull the reg out of your buddy's mouth ... (I have a 42" primary hose, routed under my arm. right angle fitting at regulator .. much better)

Dive Rite recommends this configuration and Sherwood has been using it for years on the Maximus.

Back
Top Bottom