Airline Carry-on recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a quick follow-up (in case I forget later), I made up a mock-up out of a cardboard box...

Well, the slightly larger Think Tank "Airport Security" bag has arrived, so here's two photos of the first test pack (below)

The contents are as follows:

(1st photo, starting at the left side, going clockwise)

- Ike Housing (Canon 7D inside), with bracket still attached (a pleasant surprise, although it is a bit talll, so the zippers are tight)
- 8" dome (upper level) Ike part #5510.45
- two DS-160 strobes
- synch cord; Ultra-Lite strobe arms underneath

(2nd photo - dome port removed; panel lifted...
...top to bottom:

- EF-S 10-22mm, green towel
- Camera battery; EF 60mm macro (needs some padding here)
- camera battery charger, Ikelite strobe charger, +2 diopter (77mm)

..., then right side:
(In plastic bags on right side of lower level):
Ike modular port - flat port (for 60mm) #5510.35
Ike modular port - port body (for both) #5510.22

Sharp eyes may have also noticed that the lower strobe looks slightly odd - this is because it has the (land use) shade for the 10-22mm lens inverted & placed over it. Not sure if this is a great spot, but it fits.

Overall, it looks like this will all work. First shot on the test scale is 38lbs, and the single "flip-up" should make it pretty friendly for TSA inspection & repack.

-hh

Attachments

• Think_tank-s1.jpg
    Think_tank-s1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Think_tank-s2.jpg
    Think_tank-s2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 51
Overall, it looks like this will all work. First shot on the test scale is 38lbs...
Singapore Airlines and Qantas have weighed my carry-on. Their limit is 7 kg.

Singapore Airlines and Qantas have weighed my carry-on. Their limit is 7 kg.

I'm aware that some airlines have weight limits that they actually enforce.

But unfortunately, airlines also have liability limits for checked baggage ... and some of these now explicitly exclude camera gear entirely.

As such, the traveling photographer is left with no good alternatives, pretty much other than to risk (checked) gear loss, or risk (carry-on) getting caught overweight and then shuffling stuff between bags and stuffing lenses into jacket pockets ('worn item' loophole), or simply give up photography.

-hh

I just bought a High Sierra ATX 456 backpack that they allege is within carry on limits. I can fit my Seahorse 520 (for my camera gear), reg, and mask in this thing with some room for t-shirt, swim trunks and towel. Loaded with this stuff, it weighs in at 25 lbs. I'm attaching some pics so y'all can offer any pointers you may have.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 46
But unfortunately, airlines also have liability limits for checked baggage ... and some of these now explicitly exclude camera gear entirely.
Yes; I guess insurance is an option, but I'm not a fan.

As such, the traveling photographer is left with no good alternatives, pretty much other than to risk (checked) gear loss, or risk (carry-on) getting caught overweight and then shuffling stuff between bags and stuffing lenses into jacket pockets ('worn item' loophole), or simply give up photography.
Yes, but in my experience, the risk of checking gear is minimal. I have never experienced a theft while traveling and my strobes and large dome port (all wrapped in clothes and 3-mm neoprene) have survived check-in unscathed so far. I have also switched from a hard Portercase to a soft LowePro bag to save some weight. I don't think my gear is exposed to much abuse in the overhead luggage bin and the hard-sided cases are probably overkill and unnecessary weight. The carry-on weight does not seem to be an issue for the American airlines yet--and Cathay hasn't weighed mine either--but if they sniff some extra revenue, they might start to enforce weight restrictions.

The photographer's vest? Out of the question--I've got an image to maintain. :D

I am sure I am in the minority here but my feeling is check everything. I get tired of having my, neck and back hurt like hell from lugging a 40# + bag all over airports. I also feel that my Ikelite housing is built like a tank so I wrap it in my wet suit and bury it in my bag. I have never been a fan of Pelican cases, too much advertising of valuables in side and too heavy. I have made 4 trips with my gear packed this way and so far no problems, Knock on wood.

Prior to checking my housing I got jerked around three times in the Miami airport coming back thru security after clearing customs. If your carry on doesn’t drop in to the bag sizer at the entrance to the security line they will make you check it.

Back
Top Bottom