Airline tickets so expensive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once spent 5 hours in Miami, I knew it was going to have to do it. It won't happen again.

I am using miles to make an extra trip this summer to the Bahama's (BlackBeards). However, to do that, I have to spend the night in Miami. I thought since I get in to Miami late (about 10:00 PM) and leave early (about 8:00 am) that I would just spend the night in the airport. Any suggestions?

Actually, I guess this is off topic. if you want to pm me, that would be fine.

If the upgrade to first class is $300 or less I always do it.
$301 to $400 I usually do it.
Over $400 - depends on the flights.

Dandy Don, I haven't tried the Matrix ITA software, as it doesn't work on my iPad (which is where I do most of my searching). Does it pick up routes and fares for ALL Airlines, including Southwest, AirTrans, and Sun Country, which normally only sell through their own websites?
Why would it not work on an ipad? I thought those were real computers? They have apps for iPhone™ and Android™, or use bbmatrix.itasoftware.com for BlackBerry®.

The site does not sell tickets nor link to sites that do like Kayak, but I don't think SWA cooperates with anyone? Their fares do not seem to show up or Matrix or Kayak either one. I do think I've seen Airtrans fares there, but aren't they part of SWA now? Well, Matrix does include Sun Country at least. I guess it's always good to open multiple tabs and compare results from any site like this vs the airline if you know it flies the route.

ALSO, you have to be careful comparing fares; although all Airlines are now required to report gross fares, including all taxes and fees, the extra baggage fees differ from airline to airline. I just checked Airtrans, to see what a RT from San Antonio to Cancun would cost me in June (it varies by date, but dates I checked, June 13 - June 20, low RT total was about $525), and I noticed that AirTrans charges for all checked luggage - $20 for first bag, $25 for second bag. Sun Country, out of DFW, USED to give you first bag free on international routes, but NOW charges for both First ($20 online, $25 at airport) and second ($30 online, $35 at airport) bags. American Airlines, for same dates in June, costs $578 for RT to Cozumel vs. $515 on Sun Country, but AA gives you first checked bag free (on flights to/from Mexico), $40 for second bag. SO, a traveler with just one checked bag each way pays $578 on AA vs. $555 on Sun Country. With 2 checked bags, that traveler pays $658 on AA vs. $615 on Sun Country.
Sure, you have to watch luggage fees, how much each charges for onboard extras on might find important, extra costs of going thru CUN to get to CZM, parking fees at alternative airports, etc.

I am using miles to make an extra trip this summer to the Bahama's (BlackBeards). However, to do that, I have to spend the night in Miami. I thought since I get in to Miami late (about 10:00 PM) and leave early (about 8:00 am) that I would just spend the night in the airport. Any suggestions?

Actually, I guess this is off topic. if you want to pm me, that would be fine.
Have you ever done that? I did once in the 80s and swore never, ever again. I was young & fit but it was dreadful.

Received email that the flight I paid significantly MORE for to avoid a lengthy layover just got changed. 1.5 hours to 5 hours in Houston. Awesome.
Several years ago the airline changed my itinerary while I was on Cozumel. They added a flight, and instead of a noonish flight out, now there was a 9:30AM flight and a 3PM flight. They put me (of course) on the early flight. I called them and told them I wanted to fly out on the 3PM flight instead. They said OK, that will be $150 apiece (there were three of us) to change the tickets. I said wait a minute, it was they, not I, who changed the game midstream, and they should let me fly out on whichever flight I wanted and not charge me. After 15 minutes of (politely) not taking "no" for an answer, they relented.

I am flying out of Coz today, paid $518 including taxes a few months ago for an Atlanta to Cozumel flight in Delta. Got upgraded to first class both ways so three bags for free...good stuff this time around. Delta can suck though, they cancelled my connecting flight from Atlanta to Valdosta a few years ago on the way back for Roatan...on Christmas Eve and wouldn't pay for a hotel or a rental car. I ended up paying for a one way rental and driving home so I wouldn't miss Christmas with the family. After many hours on the telephone they gave me a $100 check, two $100 vouchers (one for my wife, one for me). I decided that the next time around ill just let a lawyer do the talking. It's the only way they will learn, tie them up in court even if it costs you. It will help us all in the long run.

Edit: by the way, the reason they cancelled the flight was because they said they didn't have enough people booked to make it worthwhile. Also, by the way, people flying home on United today have had their flight cancelled and will be in Coz at least one more day.

Have you ever done that? I did once in the 80s and swore never, ever again. I was young & fit but it was dreadful.

nope, hence the reason I need some input :)

I may go ahead and get a hotel for the night. Just didn't want to spend the extra money. by the time I drive to Houston to save the miles, pay to park my car, pay for a hotel, I could have spent a little more and just paid for a straight through flight and not worried about the miles ......... oh well. Not really sure why I collect miles. :idk:

...by the way, people flying home on United today have had their flight cancelled and will be in Coz at least one more day.
That happened to me once, but Continental tried to get me to leave a day early. Not a chance.

Also, by the way, people flying home on United today have had their flight cancelled and will be in Coz at least one more day.
Hmmm... Wonder why?
According to flightaware.com United flights are late but still running.
UA flt 1545 left a late but made up some time in the air.
United (UA) #1545 ? 09-Mar-2013 ? KIAH - MMCZ / CZM Flight Tracker ? FlightAware
UA 1073 left about an hour late and is/was getting spanked by headwinds
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1073/history/20130309/1409Z/KORD/MMCZ

UA 1549 is showing a few minutes late
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL1549/history/20130309/1822Z/KIAH/MMCZ

Cozumel is a wonderful place to get stuck as opposed to say Abilene or DFW or both when things go horribly wrong with broken planes and weather. Been there done that.

Last edited:
Hmmm... Wonder why?
According to flightaware.com United flights are late but still running.

I am scheduled to head out on UA 1550 at 3:45 and the United website shows it on time.

I'm not sure of the United cancellation details. I overheard some folks talking about their flight being cancelled and asked them about it and they told me that their United flight was cancelled. I would check with them again if you haven't.

Back
Top Bottom