Airline Travel with BP/W in Carry-on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in that case, id go for it. i never tried to get the plate past TSA, did not want to deal with a hand search at the checkpoint due to the x-ray shadow. our checked gear bag has never been searched (zip tied zippers).

Cruise ship security went over our carry ons that had reg bags in them with a fine toothed comb; had to play twenty questions as they pulled each part out. not sure if because of security, or they were just curious. just don’t bring a dive knife as other's have mentioned. did not have any issues with sheers or trilobites.

after confirming with the staff it was ok, we cleaned our gear up on the pool deck under a stairwell next to the rinse showers. so much easier then in the berth. downside was that it never ceased to draw a crowd, but i always like answering questions about scuba stuff :D

THAT is a heck of a good idea, thanks very much. I never considered it. I was dreading using the tiny shower in the cabin.

.... our checked gear bag has never been searched (zip tied zippers). ...

You must have never seen how a ball pen can open most plastic zippers with zero effort, the it can be rezip without any sight. There is a video on youtube about that

I have carried my rebreather through TSA with no issues several times. The only time they asked me to open the bag was in Newark, and they wanted to see what my crescent wrench was.

Have no issues the couple of time I have flown with all of my gear in a carry on bag which includes one of the freedom contour backplates

I have been flagged for the bp at various airports during x-ray but once inspected they allowed it through, they did inspect the webbing which they informed me was to ensure it could not easily be removed without someone noticing once air born. If you ever travel Asia be careful with the webbing at some of the smaller airports (especially those not familiar with diving) as they will see it as a possible restraint system, they even made me re-check my computer cables a few times. In Singapore I had Sri Lankan Air throw a fit because I was wearing my BP and Wing as a clothing accessory because of weight restrictions and their strict 7kg carry on weight allowance which was camera gear, but after they could not provide any policy not allowing it and security saying ok they had to let it go.

You must have never seen how a ball pen can open most plastic zippers with zero effort, the it can be rezip without any sight. There is a video on youtube about that

loop the zip tie through the handle and the zipper lock. prevents it from being re-zipped after it being opened without cutting the ties. (also why i don’t trim the excess zip tie after fastening)

loop the zip tie through the handle and the zipper lock. prevents it from being re-zipped after it being opened without cutting the ties. (also why i don’t trim the excess zip tie after fastening)

I can't visualize what you mean here? If you can work the slide how dose that force cutting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't visualize what you mean here? If you can work the slide how dose that force cutting?

you cant work the slide if the slide is zip tied to the luggage handle in addition to the other slide. requires a long skinny zip-tie though.

when you come down to it, locks only keep honest people out. not much you can do if someone has the means and REALLY wanted to get into your bag.

I took a BP carry-on to, through, and back from Egypt on a half-dozen different flights a few years ago. The can light in my checked luggage got me lots of attention, but no one said boo about my BP rig. In fact, it wasn't until I went to retrieve a new book midway through the return Cairo-New York flight that I realized it even still had my titanium dive knife, trauma shears, and a Dive-Rite Z-cutter attached.

:shocked2:

I always take steel BP with webbing and set of regulators in carry on. Sometimes they ask what is it, sometimes ask to open, but never make problem.
I only try to remember each time to remove cutting device from webbing :)
Regarding wrenches, small or big, it is "tool" and it is not allow in carry-on how curiosity it will not sounds.
One my nice wrench left in trash box in Cozumel airport, when I forgot to put in check-in luggage:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom