Airlines to Coz - good, bad, and pitiful!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever airline you choose, I send wishes for you that your luggage arrives when you do. I went to Cozumel last August with USAir and they lost my luggage for 2 days. I was a grumbling freak, racing around in sweltering heat to find a not-so-atrocious bathing suit for my dives the next day.

It was emotionally scarring, and I'm still dealing with the pain...

ggunn:
Is American no longer flying to CZM from Miami?

Hi Gordon,
Unfortunately no, American (many years ago) outbid Mexicana for the direct Miami - Cozumel run. Then after providing service for less that a year, they cancelled the route & replaced it with another Miami to Cancun flight. There is a relatively new one that is proving to be excellent!!! Out of Ft. Lauderdale SPIRIT AIR that is direct into Cozumel, and it is VERY good pricing - depending on what day you go, I have seen it as cheap as $85.00 plus tax each way!!!!

dnhill:
There are two flights out of Houston (IAH) for CZM. The first flight leaves at 9:15 AM and the second leaves at 12:06 PM.

dnhill

They must have changed the schedules in the last several months. Sorry, my bad

Photocoz:
Hi Gordon,
Out of Ft. Lauderdale SPIRIT AIR that is direct into Cozumel, and it is VERY good pricing - depending on what day you go, I have seen it as cheap as $85.00 plus tax each way!!!!

Hmm,
I couldn't find a Ft. Lauderdale flight on their site or route map. Too bad, I think I'd like to take the Midwest Express non-stop from KC to Ft. L and a non from Ft. L to Coz

5615mike:
They must have changed the schedules in the last several months. Sorry, my bad

The deal is, that later flight is only on Saturdays, so if you don't search for Saturday flights, you won't find it. Occasionally they run a later return flight on Sundays, too. The Continental schedule has been pretty much the same for many years; I've been on the one that lands at 11:30 am many times.

Photocoz:
American Airlines, big plane, non stop Dallas to Cozumel - can't beat that! Also check the charters - we always are hearing what great deals people get out of Dallas to here!
Holly
www.photocozumel.com
ISLAND PHOTO-VIDEO CENTER OF COZUMEL
I flew American last March. They were fine IMO
I am going in 4 weeks but haven't recieved the flight info from my dive shop yet.

More fly to Cancun so it's usally cheaper and you have more selection of times and airlines. From the Cancun airport catch the Riveira Bus (their Greyhound) to Playa Del Carmen, $7.00 and 45 min. they leave every hour 8am-8pm. The bus terminal in Playa is a short 1 block walk to the ferry to Cozumel. $9.00 each way and 35min to Coz. From Chicago it's $200 cheaper to Cancun than Coz so the more people are traveling the more I save and the more non-stop flights I can choose from. It's not that big a deal for the bus ride and the ferry.

I'd heard that about taking the bus/ferry route from Cancun. Maybe when it's just Richard and me (and our scuba gear, practically a third person!) we might try it. It makes more sense than waiting hours for the connecting flight to Cozumel.
http://home.pcisys.net/~ronlee/Scuba/Cozumel/Aug2001/CancunCozumel.htm
http://www.travelyucatan.com/trans-4.htm
http://www.travelyucatan.com/playa_del_carmen_cozumel_ferry.php

I stumbled onto The Travel Insider, and was shocked at the carry-on/ check-in weight allowances for international flights. We do get the 40 lbs/ 45" total for a carry-on to Cozumel when using a roundtrip ticket from a U.S. carrier, right? And here I'd finally figured out how to get everything but fins and a wetsuit into a 21" rolling luggage, plus room for a toothbrush and change of clothes!
http://www.thetravelinsider.info/travelaccessories/internationalcarryonluggageallowances.htm

Thanks for all the tips!

berick:
Hmm,
I couldn't find a Ft. Lauderdale flight on their site or route map. Too bad, I think I'd like to take the Midwest Express non-stop from KC to Ft. L and a non from Ft. L to Coz

I AM SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!
I have NO IDEA where my head was - I TOTALLY GOOFED - SPIRIT AIR DOES NOT FLY INTO COZ - IT GOES INTO CANCUN from Ft. Lauderdale!!!!!! Very cheap I might add, but Cancun, not Coz!!!! I am getting ready to try it for the first time here pretty soon & will let you know, but everyone I know that has taken it has said it wa great service and could not believe the great price. I know - it is the hassle of Cancun airport, but I am going to brave it!!!!!!!
Once again - sorry!!!!!!

Photocoz:
I AM SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!
I have NO IDEA where my head was - I TOTALLY GOOFED - SPIRIT AIR DOES NOT FLY INTO COZ - IT GOES INTO CANCUN from Ft. Lauderdale!!!!!! Very cheap I might add, but Cancun, not Coz!!!! I am getting ready to try it for the first time here pretty soon & will let you know, but everyone I know that has taken it has said it wa great service and could not believe the great price. I know - it is the hassle of Cancun airport, but I am going to brave it!!!!!!!
Once again - sorry!!!!!!

No problem. I've really been enjoying this thread. It's been giving me a lot of ideas of how to get to Coz. I'm just looking for an alternative (relatively inexpensive) for USAIR (since I'm not sure how long they'll be in business) which is somewhat direct from KC (not going thru Chicago or Atlanta -- I'm always delayed in Atlanta). If I'm going thru Cancun, I'll take the non-stop on Frontier (WED,SAT,MON).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom