Airport fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AND I understand it is going to be bundled in to your ticket price, so no standing in three lines to get through security. Correct me if I am wrong on this...

I agree that for the serious diver who wants to see "the best of what's left" in the Caribbean, Roatan has a strong allure and likely the additional cost will make no difference. There are also a few that have been before and either don't understand or see the difference in the reefs, or are just simply penny-wise and pound foolish. Either way, it isn't doing the island any good in terms of development of the tourist industry- as if the airfares weren't bad enough.
I disagree to a certain extent- I dove Bonaire 4 years ago and have been to Roatan the last 2 years. While Roatan is great, the overall reef health was better in Bonaire IMHO. Having been to Roatan the last two years the extra $$ might be the factor that pursuades me to go elsewhere, or give another destination a try.
Last year we paid for an upgraded air conditioned room and never used the air conditioner for a second. This year we saved a few bucks and went with the non-air conditioned room. All of this factors into the overall trip cost. Our vacation money isn't going as far as it used to.

Was just there, and I was pissed enough having to go stand in line to shell out $76.00 just to be able to leave the country, now they want $120.00?? I'd much rather has left that $76.00 at a restaurant, bar or some souvenier shop than at the airport on the way out.

We have been considering buying property in Roatan, but after seeing the sorry state of the fish life on the reefs on the north side due to lion fish not being culled, and now they want another $120 every time we come to stay there?

F**k it, tell Honduras to suck it and go soak somebody else. Mexico is looking better and better. Closer and cheaper and way better diving. Tell Honduras to go learn how to collect taxes from their own people, figure out how to get the 98% who don't pay any taxes in their country to start.

These dumb asses who run that country should at least be smart enough to not charge relief workers, church groups and others coming to their country on their own dime to help them a departure tax of any kind.

While I've only done 1 dive trip to Roatan (Co Co View) a few years ago, that trip really soured me on Honduras diving. Vis was very smoky/milky all week (even though we had no appreciable rains that week), the reefs were pretty average/weak, and the fish life essentially zero.......the locals had already long ago completely fished out the area. The ONLY memorable dive was a shark dive done several miles offshore and FAR AWAY from Co Co View. The resort was nice, but the diving pretty much totally sucked and I'd never return to Roatan if Co Co View is representative of the state of Honduran reefs...and this was well before any Lionfish appeared! One can get equal or better diving next door in Cozumel or Belize (did Belize-Sundancer July 2011) so I see nothing in Honduras justifying the higher costs.

While I've only done 1 dive trip to Roatan (Co Co View) a few years ago, that trip really soured me on Honduras diving. Vis was very smoky/milky all week (even though we had no appreciable rains that week), the reefs were pretty average/weak, and the fish life essentially zero.......the locals had already long ago completely fished out the area. The ONLY memorable dive was a shark dive done several miles offshore and FAR AWAY from Co Co View. The resort was nice, but the diving pretty much totally sucked and I'd never return to Roatan if Co Co View is representative of the state of Honduran reefs...and this was well before any Lionfish appeared! One can get equal or better diving next door in Cozumel or Belize (did Belize-Sundancer July 2011) so I see nothing in Honduras justifying the higher costs.

Not to hijack to thread, but...

The lack of fish was quite noticable last week -- but only on certain reefs. Other Roatan reefs were stunning. Night & day.

There are idiotic taxes in every country on earth.

If you find Cozumel or Bonaire a better value then that is probably where you should go.

Me..... I like it there, $22/pp is less than 1% of the total cost of the trip for me.

Not to say that I agree with the application of the exit fee, it will not determine if I go there or not. If $22 makes the decision where you go then so be it.

If you find Cozumel or Bonaire a better value then that is probably where you should go.

Me..... I like it there, $22/pp is less than 1% of the total cost of the trip for me.

Not to say that I agree with the application of the exit fee, it will not determine if I go there or not. If $22 makes the decision where you go then so be it.

It's not the money. It's the thought that counts.

It's not the money. It's the thought that counts.

I really had an enjoyable trip the last time I went to Roatan. I already said I don't agree with it but should I part of depressing the tourism on Roatan and hurting the people that make their living in the tourism industry? Seems foolish to me. You on the other hand are free to do whatever you like.:D

...dude, the incresed fee is in addition to the already excessive '16% tourist tax'....that's already plenty of 'soak the gringo' mentality!

...dude, the incresed fee is in addition to the already excessive '16% tourist tax'....that's already plenty of 'soak the gringo' mentality!

Dude, I already said I don't agree with it. I already said if it was another $22 it wouldn't change my mind if I decide to go. I can stay in the US and get soaked by staying in any motel in almost any place and pay a "lodging" tax + state sales tax + county tax + city tax + airport tax etc. Like I said earlier, I had heard that the taxes were being lowered and the price of the trip I was looking at was coming down. I will check on that further and post my findings. Until then do what you want, I don't care Dude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom