Airport time question, manila to Dumagute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Markmaloof,
I really do not understand the logical reason why you prefer to stay one night in Cebu instead of Manila. Cebu City is a lot closer to Dumaguete but getting there is another story! Fast ferry will take 4hrs, car and short ferry take slightly less and flight is around 50mins. A direct flight from Manila to Dumaguete is all you need unless you want to see the other side of the country.
Find a nice hotel in Manila, have a good meal and then a good rest is a lot better than spending several hrs of unnecessary travelling on top of your original flight. And it is probably cheaper as well!!!

---------- Post added February 19th, 2015 at 12:47 AM ----------

Hi Markmaloof, If I may add, in case you choose to fly to Cebu, you can also travel to the south of the island by road, take a short ferry to Negros and continue by road till your resort... You may try this on your own or request the resort to fetch you in Cebu. That will be faster than getting the ferry all the way from Cebu to Dumaguete. :wink:
Two considerations:
1. The Cebu flight has to depart later than 15:00.
2. The ferry is till running in the evening.

Just as a general practice, and even going to "nearby" destinations like Anilao, Subic Bay Wrecks or Puerto Galera/Oriental Mindoro --I always overnight in Manila coming across trans-Pacific from Los Angeles on United Airlines into Int'l Terminal 1 (and that flight from Guam hub usually gets into Manila around 11pm local time). . .

Just as a general practice, and even going to "nearby" destinations like Anilao, Subic Bay Wrecks or Puerto Galera/Oriental Mindoro --I always overnight in Manila coming across trans-Pacific from Los Angeles on United Airlines into Int'l Terminal 1 (and that flight from Guam hub usually gets into Manila around 11pm local time). . .

This has pretty much been my experience with traveling to the Philippines from the US. I come from the upper midwest, and have repeatedly found that almost all options have us coming into Manila close to midnight. We drop at a local hotel, crash for a few hours, and then get a leisurely breakfast and embark on the final leg of our travel. Much more civilized, and it allows you to sort of get in sync with the local time.

IMO--yes..........but, better land @ 11 AM, I would think........lol, when we went, we landed @ 5 AM & had that same(about the same time anyway) flight to Dumaguete----so much time in between, we took a 4 hour tour of Manila--20 of us prearranged on a tour bus etc etc etc....:).., great way to start our Philippine vacation.....

This has pretty much been my experience with traveling to the Philippines from the US. I come from the upper midwest, and have repeatedly found that almost all options have us coming into Manila close to midnight. We drop at a local hotel, crash for a few hours, and then get a leisurely breakfast and embark on the final leg of our travel. Much more civilized, and it allows you to sort of get in sync with the local time.

My experience is the complete opposite. I have been to Philippines many times, and I always take the direct PAL flight Vancouver to Manila. The flight has always been great, and the timing is perfect. The flight usually leaves Vancouver around midnight or 1 am, and gets in to Manila quite early, sometime around 5 am usually. So you can work a full day (or get a connecting flight from anywhere in North America to Vancouver), get on your flight, sleep, arrive in Manila early enough to beat the brutal traffic, and there is plenty of time to get to PG or Anilao. Or if going to Visayas, lots of time to catch connecting flight to Cebu or Dumaguete. Folks from USA should perhaps consider Vancouver as connecting hub to Manila.

My experience is the complete opposite. I have been to Philippines many times, and I always take the direct PAL flight Vancouver to Manila. The flight has always been great, and the timing is perfect. The flight usually leaves Vancouver around midnight or 1 am, and gets in to Manila quite early, sometime around 5 am usually. So you can work a full day (or get a connecting flight from anywhere in North America to Vancouver), get on your flight, sleep, arrive in Manila early enough to beat the brutal traffic, and there is plenty of time to get to PG or Anilao. Or if going to Visayas, lots of time to catch connecting flight to Cebu or Dumaguete. Folks from USA should perhaps consider Vancouver as connecting hub to Manila.

When we went, our flight was out of LAX around ?10 PM west coast time---was supposed to land in Guam(to refuel)---but they announced about 10'ish 'due to light load no Guam landing will be needed--SO---we'll not leave till ?around midnite LA time, can't get to Manila airport till around 5 AM Manila time---airport is closed till then....'.......My very 1st thought was are you SURE about the fuel thingy???---if in doubt PLEASE stop on Guam......But---they were correct-------WE MADE it non-stop.....Coming back non-stop was never a doubt since we'd be traveling WITH the jet stream...

Thanks guys! Too expensive now to switch our flight to Cebu, and having a HATEFUL time with the Cebu Pacific web site! Starting another post, desperate!

Thanks guys! Too expensive now to switch our flight to Cebu, and having a HATEFUL time with the Cebu Pacific web site! Starting another post, desperate!
Please don't be too despondent!!!
Worst comes to worst, Anilao and Puerto Galera are only 3-4 hrs away from Manila. The macro in Anilao should blow Dauin away. However, there is no substitute for the thresher shark in Malapascua.
Be positive!

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2015 at 03:09 AM ----------

Hi Markmaloof,

A. with the 3pm flight you should be on the safe side unless your 11am arrival plane is realy delayed.
B & C. If you still miss the 3pm flight and are flying to Cebu as a plan B, then you will still have to stay in Cebu overnight before being able to go to Dumaguete. So if you miss it, i would stay in Manila and take the early flight to Dumaguete and you'll still arrive earlier and have less travel time (Cebu to Dumaguete can take between 4-5 hours by car or ferry)

Enjoy Dumaguete, lots of critters waiting there

Cheers

I agree with critterdiver, I think you should easily make the 3pm flight to Dumaguete. So stop worrying, start planning your critter wish list and enjoy the coming holiday. IF your arriving flight is massively late, then stay in Manila one night and fly to Dumaguete early morning next day.

And hey Centrals, I know you love Anilao, but Dauin macro is pretty stunning at the moment too. Baby frogfish absolutely everywhere (at least clown, painted, hairy & giant), lots of ornate, robust & rough snout ghost pipefish, ambon scorpionfish, wonderpus, mimic, mototi, coconut & blue ring octopus, thorny, estuary & pygmy seahorses, mantis shrimps with eggs... Well I'm sure you got the picture. You will have a wonderful trip markmaloof!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom