AirTran Charging Extra for Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheap suitcase from Target. Good luck identifying it as "dive gear".

Actually many airlines have such a provision in their Terms Of Carriage. But, unless you somehow tip them off they don't know what is in your baggage.

I've followed the above rule for several years now and have had no problems with damage and only once with the airline knowing it was scuba gear. That time the TSA person opened the bag and the airline saw what was inside. Now, with changed baggage processing I doubt that will happen again.

So, cheap, lightweight bag with no labels and you will be OK.

If they ever try to charge me again, I'm going to put all my stuff on and walk on
the plane with it.

and then TSA will get you.

It's a no win situation when flying. You are at the mercy of the airlines and homeland security.

I ping a little higher at Air Tran, so I will weigh in with my 800-pound $.02. This sounds like some mid level minion made a serious error in judgement and will have to pay with his or her career. No big loss.
In the meantime, just tell the faces at Air Tran trying to stick you with the surcharge that you are a highly paid professional rubber fetishist well respected in general aviation circles for your wondrous talents.
Feel free to use my name - it has been used in vain many, many times before this.
You get 4 people flying anywhere now, you can probably get a private charter for a leetle more than flying gutbucket coach.
For many years, I always flew with heavy canvas Navy seabags holding my worldy goods. I was in the Navy, and that was was ish-ee-yewed to me, so that's what I used. Pack your stuff in some of those babies, get a TSA-approved lock, and check away. Anyone says anything, you just look 'em in the eye and ask if they really have a need to know.

Here's my email:

Mr. Hutcheson,
I just started using AirTran for my flying needs out of Memphis. I was very impressed not only with the plane, but the crew as well and have been telling all my friends of my great experience. Now on Scubaboard, we learn that we will have to pay $69 for our scuba gear. That's almost $140 round trip and not acceptable. I don't mind the $20 extra bag fee but to pull scuba divers out from other sports folks such as golfers is ridiculous. Unfortunately, I will have to re-examine my flying choices in the future, and I've begun emailing those friends and customers I've recommended AirTran to advising them of these developments.
Sincerely,
Don Wray
Scuba Instructor

I never mark my bags with dive flags. No reason to tell the bagage handlers what is in them.

Make sure there are some clothes on top prior to checking in also.

Let us know if you get a response.

Here's my email:

Mr. Hutcheson,
I just started using AirTran for my flying needs out of Memphis. I was very impressed not only with the plane, but the crew as well and have been telling all my friends of my great experience. Now on Scubaboard, we learn that we will have to pay $69 for our scuba gear. That's almost $140 round trip and not acceptable. I don't mind the $20 extra bag fee but to pull scuba divers out from other sports folks such as golfers is ridiculous. Unfortunately, I will have to re-examine my flying choices in the future, and I've begun emailing those friends and customers I've recommended AirTran to advising them of these developments.
Sincerely,
Don Wray
Scuba Instructor

Beyond using bags that don't scream SCUBA, be sure you aren't wearing your favorite HAT with a dive flag, COAT with a dive flag, WATCH with a dive flag, T-SHIRT with a dive flag, or dive flag SHORTS!!

Back
Top Bottom