Akona 1mil full suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just purchase a nice BARE 5/4 full suit......but want to add 1 more mil under it. I see that for around 70.00 I can get a 1mil Akona full suit. **Any good/bad thoughts on this layering idea for added warmth and good/bad on Akona.** Also the 1mil will be useful in the warmer months and blue water. THANKS

texdiveguy:
I just purchase a nice BARE 5/4 full suit......but want to add 1 more mil under it. I see that for around 70.00 I can get a 1mil Akona full suit. **Any good/bad thoughts on this layering idea for added warmth and good/bad on Akona.** Also the 1mil will be useful in the warmer months and blue water. THANKS
Seems to me it is difficult to don one wetsuit over another especially the legs. Why not go even cheaper with a hooded vest? you can still get the 1 mil when needed and the vest could even be worn over that giving you a lot of versatility.

I second the hooded vest idea. Much much easier to layer and still insulates you where it's important. If you don't like that idea, try to find a shorty you can wear over the 5/4 suit.

I have the Bare 5/4 Velocity and like it a lot. The best thing I did was add their hooded vest, it put and end to the cool water from the back zipper and snugged things up nice. I know in my case warmth is fine below the waist so the vest does the trick. The glide skin neck is comfortable and if you give your neck a few shots of suit snott before you don it's even comfortable before you get wet. The Bare vest also had a flip collar that sheds water flow past the suit collar. Overall the water infiltration is hardly noticable alowing my body to warm it as it enters. .

We've been using the suit to go snorkeling and have been OK for up to 90 minutes in the low 50s (F) with the hooded vest, booties and gloves. Your results at depth will vary. When the water temp gets into the lower 60's (F) I actualy find myself letting water in to cool down

Pete

I purchased the wetsuit you were asking about for my last trip to Cozumel. I like the the full suit even in the tropical waters because it not only keeps you warmer for multiple days of diving, but also gives you exposure protection. After returning from Cozumel, I have used the Akona suit under a 3mm suit and hood to dive the Niagara River. It worked out perfectly. It is great to have the dual use of this wetsuit.

texdiveguy:
brenda and i both have akona 1mm suits. they fit us better than the scubapro 3mm we also have and seem to be well made. we dove with them in costa maya last week as well as the last time we were at cssp and was happy with them both places. as for layering, well we will have to see how it works after we sell the scubapros and buy something else.
kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom