AKR TRIP REPORT (Nov 14 - Nov 21)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha! I survived fantasy island twice! Although I haven't stayed at coco view I have stayed at AKR a couple times too. Fantasy Island (granted its been 6 years FYI) offers 2 star accommodations (at the time some of the rooms had been newly renovated and were actually ok), and I would say the dive groups were the same size or just slightly larger than AKR. On the upside food was buffet style so no going hungry and the selection was good. They has a bunch of ice cream flavors every night which was good too! They have unlimited free rum cocktails and I do like their beach (some of the guests aren't there to dive but sit by the beach). You do get more kids for that reason. On the upside the location on the island offers diving on that side (like Mary's place etc) which I like the reefs better (Coco view is literally next door so same thing). Downside is the proximity to west end which is like 40? min by taxi vs. AKR which is like 15.
Would I stay there again? Probably not because as I have gotten older and my tastes gotten fancier (about to head out on the Arenui liveaboard in 3 weeks - which is 10x the prices above). If I were young, a true budget traveler, or just don't care about where I sleep then perhaps....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your philosophy must also include a lot more vacation days as your more far-flung list adds 2 to 4 days of travel time. Great if you got it, but also it must be a factor in comparative value computations.

And then there's the misery of extended flight times; a 4 hour flight is unpleasant for me. Some people pay to fly higher-class to make it more bearable, which ramps up the cost even further.

Richard.

I thought about Coco View but you know my philosophy Robint. With flights from DC, I will be pushing over 2K cost wise. Roatan is no longer a budget destination in that price and so many other places become possible in that money that going to Roatan would not make sense.

If I wanted to do a vacation for 2000 USD then this would be the list:

1. Egypt liveaboard (800 + flight 1000)
2. Thailand Liveaboard (700 + flight 1200)
3. Sudan liveaboard (850 + flight 1200)
4. South Africa (750 + flight 1250)

Roatan and AKR were very good for what I paid but if the cost goes up to above 2K then the place would have to compete for a lot of other places available in that money.

Just wanted to let you know the differences.... since you mentioned the walls and the food.
There is a place for everyone... and normally AKR does not offer that deal, except in the rainy season. So if you went during Peak season, the price of the two resorts is very comparable.
The walls and the unlimited shore diving are selling points for US, maybe not everyone, especially if traveling with a non-diver or kids. AKR wins in those regards.
Diving... yes, CCV is also valet diving, DM and boat captain do everything but breathe off your reg for you.

CCV does offer discounted rates at different times, just not very often and not that discounted. I have been twice during January, and both times I got some kind of special rate. Not any where close to a 2-For-1 deal, but since I travel solo usually it wouldn't help me anyway. Last year they extended their slow fall season rate further into the busy season, that to me was special enough. :)

Yo, Cap'n. Did AKR require you to present your logbook? Going in March and since going to dive computers my wife and I have not kept a written log book. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom