Al Lith Saudi Arabia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sieger12

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello from Jeddah!

I'm on a work assignment here in KSA and will be diving the Al Lith/Farasan Banks in the near future. Is anyone aware of information available on this area other than from the "Dream Divers" website? Also, there is mention of an article in the magazine "Tauchen" in August 2007 about a site called - Hanging Gardens - is that available anywhere on the Web?

Thanks in advance,
John

John
I will be up that way in a couple of weeks. I dive with a group who does quite a bit of diving there. They have a Facebook page called Aqua divers international. Try a search and see what you can find. If not I will try to get you some more info

Cheers
Michael

I just got back from a 3 day trip with Dream Divers to the Farasan Banks. The crew was awesome, the diving was absolutely amazing, and having to leave and come back to Eastern KSA was a real bummer. Great experience, and I would do it again with their company in a heartbeat.

My wife and I are looking forward to diving at Al Lith/Farasan Banks at some point in the future, it sound like a really great place to dive. I think Desert Sea Divers, Red Sea Divers and others can arrange trips there. Some friends had a liveaboard trip at Al Lith a few weeks back and managed to swim with some whale sharks. They migrate during April/May.

We live in Jeddah and have done many shore and boat dives here, the current water temperature is 26/27c.

Jason

Jason and all
I cant wait till we get back there ,we will be going there the end of May . The boat trips are nice out of Jeddah but the Farasan banks/A; Lith sounds wonderful to me . I will be looking into it soon

Cheers
Michael

All,

I'm just back from my first trip there with Dream Diver. I have to say, we had some excellent dives. I'll post a short report and some photos in the near future.

Cheers,
John

Aramco Purple Soft.jpgCanyon_Table Coral.jpgFans- Marmar.jpgLong-SRay.jpgNudi_Long.jpg
Al Lith (Farasan Banks) - KSA: Dive Report 02-03 MAY 2012

A group of 8 divers from my project team recently booked a private charter with Dream Divers for two diving days in Al Lith. This was our first trip to Al-Lith but not our first interaction with Dream Divers.
We stayed three nights at the Dream Resort associated with the dive shop and the marina at Al Lith. The facility appeared to be recently built and is generally good repair. We selected pool-side accommodations. Accommodations were clean and spacious double rooms but several had some serious drainage issues in the showers.
The resort had both a restaurant and a snack shop. Meals in the restaurant (dinners) had to be ordered several hours in advance and where a bit of a struggle given that none of the cook staff spoke English and none of my group spoke Arabic. However, we managed two fairly nice meals of fried/broiled local fish and shrimp and one disappointing meal of less than fast food quality chicken sandwiches.
The dive shop was quite well equipped and was able to fully outfit six of our eight divers with hired gear. Diving was done on Day 1 from a purpose built 42-ft Newton and on Day 2 from a multi-purpose 36-ft boat with two 250-hp outboards. Both boats were clean, generally well organized and in very good working order. One Dive Master and a Boat Captain were on board both days and we received good dive briefings at each site (3 dives on each day). All divers were breathing air. Dive sites visited included the following:

• The Canyons – 31m, huge table coral formations
  • Marmar Island – 22m, great corals as well as gorgonians
  • Aramco Reef – 16m, pinnacles and beautiful soft corals
  • Long Reef – 29m, white tip reef sharks, gorgonians, beautiful soft corals, turtle in the distance
  • Malathu Reef – 27m, more white tip reef sharks
  • Marmar Island Point (The Washing Machine) – 18m, excellent coral formations in the shallows

All these sites were a significant run from the Al Lith Marina, the furthest being 56km and the nearest 36km, which corresponded to 2 to 2.5 hours travel time each way. We had flat calm conditions both days; however, none of these trips would be pleasant in rough seas.

Overall, this was a very worthwhile trip with stunning underwater landscapes and virtually no diving pressure. On all dives, we had 25m+ visibility. This is a highly recommended location for those diving KSA.

Great report Sieger12. I am hoping to go diving out of AL Lith with Dream Divers at the end of November. But, as I am on my own, looking for other divers to join up with to share boat expenses. Anyone who might be interested, let me know (PM). I have posted 'Saudi in November', but have received no response so far.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom