AL Titan LX Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading up on other threads and found some great advice from you guys. So now here's my question with a little background info. I live in southern california and will be diving mostly around PV (shorediving) and Catalina, with the occasional trip north and south. This will be my first regulator and am excited because lobster season opens up in 3 weeks here in SoCal. Will the LX be alright with the shorediving and all or should I go for the supreme to get the environmental seal? I've also got a good line on getting a Suunto D4, which I plan to use for scuba and freediving. Would it be advisable to get a console with the usual psi, depth, and compass, or is the psi monitor (with the D4) fine?

Thanks,
Mike

If the Supreme is not much more $$ go for it...really good reg. As far as the D4...dont have an opinion.
Good Luck

I am really pleased with my Titan LX. You can always add the environmental kit or go ahead and get it up front.

As to the console, just get a brass and glass spg, put your computer (depth guage and compass) on your wrist. Don't know what a D4 is.

N

I think you'd be better off with a sealed reg if you dive in salt water. If water can't get into a reg, then it can't cause internal corrosion. I wish I'd had a nickel for every unsealed reg I've seen come across my bench that had corrosion in the space where water enters it for depth compensation. You almost never see internal corrosion in a sealed reg unless the owner has somehow let water get into the high-pressure inlet.

Another reason for a sealed reg is that it's less prone to freezing up in cold water.

The Titan is a good reg. You'll be happy with it.

My husband and I both bought the Titan LX as our first regulators. We've had them all over the place (and dive all winter in water in the 40's). I've had one freeflow, and we never determined the cause of it. The reg was serviced but nothing appeared to be wrong, and I still suspect there may have been some small bit of debris in the second stage that did it.

We care for our regs in a routine fashion -- they are soaked after salt water diving, shook out and hung up. They are serviced once a year, and the service tech has always said they looked like they were in pretty good shape. I don't think the environmental seal is a critical thing.

They're very nice regs, and a very good value. I have much more expensive regs on my doubles setup, and yes, they breathe a little better, but not markedly so.

I am really pleased with my Titan LX. You can always add the environmental kit or go ahead and get it up front.

As to the console, just get a brass and glass spg, put your computer (depth guage and compass) on your wrist. Don't know what a D4 is.

N

Same here I am very please with my AL titan regulator. I used it for my checkout dives worked like a charm! Low cost high output

It makes no sense that AL sells the Titan LX without the environmental seal. It is simple to add it on, since it is the exact same part as the Titan LX Supreme, the cost difference is like $25 MSRP, and it'll go a long way to keeping the corrosion out of places that don't need corrosion. Tell the LDS selling you'll buy the Titan LX if they'll throw in the environmental seal for free.

As for the rest, I have a Uwatec Aladin Tec 2G (with a cool average depth feature in gauge mode) that I wear on my wrist; and a 2.5" brass and glass SPG like this one, which is a heckuva deal with the 24" HP hose for an extra $3.50. A wrist computer doesn't need to be found, its always on your arm where you need it. You are very likely to outgrow the 3-in-1 consoles.

If your shop is all Aqualung/Suunto (vs. Scubapro/Uwatec), the Suunto Vyper (or Vytec without transmitter) are good, the D4 is more of a freediving computer that also does diving. IMO, you'd be better off staying away from spending serious coin on the wireless transmitters for dive computers. Whatever you do get, make sure it'll do gauge mode if you need it later on, it'll prevent you from the buying/selling/buying of dive gear later which gets expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom