AL100s? Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver:
KOMPRESSOR:
So why are you using alum tanks? If you dive with 5-7 mil wetsuits, semis or drysuits, sell the darn alum tanks and get some REAL scuba tanks. QUOTE]

I dive double al80s w/ a 6lbs V-weigth w/ my Drysuit. Al tanks are cheap, I love how they ride, and I get plenty of bottom time with them. Sorry you don't consider them REAL tanks.

If you're ok with it and still need a 6 Ibs V-weight, I bet you're doing fine with them.

How much clothing can you wear under that drysuit before you need more weight? What water temps do you usually go diving in?

It's when alum tanks are used in cold waters I start wondering why they do it.

I have several mental barriers with alum tanks:

One is that it becomes so very light at the end of you dive, even positive?!
-And that's just a waste of good trim since you need extra lead for that. Bear in mind I'm a single tank diver. I have no experience with doubles.

Another is safety. Maybe I'm stuck with a picture of old alums. There where several accidents with the early alum tanks. Better now, isn't it? But a steel tank should be more solid from outher damage, like dropping your tank on sharp objects! -Not the way to treat your tanks, but shaite happens...

KOMPRESSOR:
MASS-Diver:
If you're ok with it and still need a 6 Ibs V-weight, I bet you're doing fine with them.

How much clothing can you wear under that drysuit before you need more weight? What water temps do you usually go diving in?

It's when alum tanks are used in cold waters I start wondering why they do it.

I have several mental barriers with alum tanks:

One is that it becomes so very light at the end of you dive, even positive?!
-And that's just a waste of good trim since you need extra lead for that. Bear in mind I'm a single tank diver. I have no experience with doubles.

Another is safety. Maybe I'm stuck with a picture of old alums. There where several accidents with the early alum tanks. Better now, isn't it? But a steel tank should be more solid from outher damage, like dropping your tank on sharp objects! -Not the way to treat your tanks, but shaite happens...

I dive with DUI 400g undies - the water here ranges from the mid-30s to upper 40s (at depth). I'm skinny, it's plenty cold for me.

I would never overfill my al tanks, I think that's very unsafe. The accidents were with some of the old luxfer tanks (very scary), related to neck cracks.

What can I say, I dove double steel 100s for a while, but I just plain like how the double 80s trim out. With my v-weight, I'm neutral with like 200psi in my tanks.

Lots of people associate al tanks with new divers or vacation divers, but double 80s is actually a pretty sweet rig (at a very reasonable price).

MASS-Diver:
I dive double al80s w/ a 6lbs V-weigth w/ my Drysuit. Al tanks are cheap, I love how they ride, and I get plenty of bottom time with them. Sorry you don't consider them REAL tanks.

Hi, every time I try to calculate your tanks weight in water, I end up with a result that means you must have lead in your blood to make it possible for you to dive. Please run this over again, calculate your tanks for me, and show me how you do it:

http://www.subaqua.co.uk/cgi-bin/cylinder-buoyancy.cgi

Unless your steel backplate is big enough to duck you under in your drysuit, I simply cannot se how your diving is possible.

I dive a 6lbs SS Bp, plus the 6lbs v-weight (that's for FW) plus the weight of the bands, manifold, regs, and with 200-500psi of gas (again this is for doubles) and I'm neutral at 15'

MASS-Diver:
I dive a 6lbs SS Bp, plus the 6lbs v-weight (that's for FW) plus the weight of the bands, manifold, regs, and with 200-500psi of gas (again this is for doubles) and I'm neutral at 15'

Yes, I understand your config.

Those I know who use double Faber steel 12 litres 232 bar use the same lead you do, or more. Steel tanks are well negative even when empty. Your alus should be neutral at the best when empty (Even well positive when completely empty).

Do you understand why I can't figure this out? Do you use much less lead than others?

Unless You are getting them cheap I would get steel tanks!
Less weight on the belt and last a lot longer.
My 2 cents(for what it's worth :)
Rick L.

KOMPRESSOR:
Yes, I understand your config.

Those I know who use double Faber steel 12 litres 232 bar use the same lead you do, or more. Steel tanks are well negative even when empty. Your alus should be neutral at the best when empty (Even well positive when completely empty).

Do you understand why I can't figure this out? Do you use much less lead than others?

Hmmm....I don't know what to say, if you lived over here we could just go dive. Lots of people dive overweighted, but I don't think I use (in general) dramtically less lead than most people, although I am really skinny. For comparison, I used to dive with ZERO lead with my PST double 100s - so with the double 80s about 6-8lbs pounds makes sense to me, and I was not surpriesed when I weighted out that way.

I dive with an AL100 and I am retiring it this year for Steel. It is big and it is not comfortable for the average diver. It tends to be a lot of work compared to the standard AL80. Since I usually (always) dive with a buddy I find that I am lugging around a lot of extra air for no reason as my buddy usually has an 80. I never bothered looking at the finer details of the bouyancy of either however I can offer personal experience. Hiking into Normans Woe with a 100 was a one time deal, I don't know the actual weight difference but it felt like 1000# before I got to the water. Dragging that sucker over the rocks on the north end of Brant Rock feels like you just did a triathalon. You are welcome to use mine for any number of dives you'ld like and try one out before you commit. I have a few AL80's I use 90% of the time and this one will just be sitting in my basement for most of the year. PM me if you ever want to try it and I can meet up with you.

I can swim back to the beach under water with the extra air while my buddy has to surface swim and then I can make fun of him for being so wiped out once we get back to the beach.

I just went back and read the entire thread and....

Forget the engineering it's not my gig, but these tanks do seem to be much more bouyant when empty (800# or less) than an 80, and they tend to make you feel less stable an even a bit tippy when you first descend.

Back
Top Bottom