Alabama Coast Liberty Ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oysterboot74,

Thanks for the hard work tracking down the identities of the Alabama liberty ships. My father (deceased) served in the Armed Guard on the S.S. Noah Webster during WWII. If you have dived on the Noah Webster and taken photos, it would be terrific if you could post them. And sorry in advance if this is a dumb request (e.g., maybe the ships are too deep for diving, etc.); I'm not a diver. Again, thank you for the information you ran down on the Noah Webster.

Regards,

I have'nt been on the Anderson (Noah Webster) yet. I dove the Allen (William T Barry) a few weeks ago but I imagine that the hulls look pretty much the same. An online search will turn up pictures of one or two of the hulls just prior to sinking. You will see that most of the distinguishing features had been removed prior to scuttle and the reef resembles a very large, compartmentalized canoe sitting on bottom (no deck). I'll keep you in mind if I get to dive it and get pictures though. There may be others here with pictures too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom