All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the old Pioneer wings did not require a single tank adaptor, ie STA-less wings. The cam straps feed through corresponding slots in wing and BP and pressure from the straps held everything together. The wing had little rods running down it to help align the tank. The new Eclipse wings (and I think newer Pioneers) need an STA. The wing goes between the STA and the BP and everything bolts together nice and secure.

Hoppy:
Not sure if this should be here or DIR but here goes ?

I am told that the Halcyon wing doesn't attach to the backplate ? That it just kind of sandwiches between plate and tanks ?

Is that right ?

Seems odd if it is.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

Many thanks

Hoppy

I think the problem might be with semantics. The wing is "sandwiched" between the plate and tanks, but there are 2 bolts that go thru it. Well, actually it depends on the type of wing and number of tanks.

With an old style wing and STA combination on a singles rig, the bolt starts on the STA, goes thru the wing, and then thru the plate, secured by a wing nut.

edit: New wing STA-less style: see post above!!

On a doubles setup, the bolt comes out of the bands on the tank, thru the wing, and into the plate.

So technically, it is sandwiched, but held very secure by the bolts.

cornfed:
Some of the old Pioneer wings did not require a single tank adaptor, ie STA-less wings. The cam straps feed through corresponding slots in wing and BP and pressure from the straps held everything together. The wing had little rods running down it to help align the tank. The new Eclipse wings (and I think newer Pioneers) need an STA. The wing goes between the STA and the BP and everything bolts together nice and secure.

I think that's backwards Drew, no? The new wings don't require the STA where the older ones did.

Nope...

"Eclipse wings require a single tank adapter to mount with your Secure Harness backplate system."

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/eclipse.shtml

They made some Pioneers that required and STA, followed that with an STAless line then switched back to the STA with the Eclipse. But I just check and the current Pioneer wings still have the integrated STA.

cornfed:
Nope...

"Eclipse wings require a single tank adapter to mount with your Secure Harness backplate system."

http://www.halcyon.net/mc/eclipse.shtml

They made some Pioneers that required and STA, followed that with an STAless line then switched back to the STA with the Eclipse. But I just check and the current Pioneer wings still have the integrated STA.

That, I didn't know. My pioneer is 2-3 yrs old and doesn't need the STA. I wasn't aware the eclipse needed one. Thanks.

since this is all a little confusing: the pioneer wing does not require an sta and is attached with two bolts to the bp.

For clearing tht up.

Didnt fancy the idea of this thing flapping about between tanks and plate. Didnt exactly see how that could be considered very safe.

I shall correct my source of information as well.

Thanks again.

Hoppy

docmartin:
since this is all a little confusing: the pioneer wing does not require an sta and is attached with two bolts to the bp.

Earlier Pioneers required a STA, then Halcyon added the plastic rods so that the single wings could be used sta-less, then the new single wing came out last fall again needing a STA.

FWIW I still use a STA with my 27# Pioneer and simply ignore the rods. I suppose if I did 100's of dives there might eventually be some wear and tear but since I'm not lucky enough to do that much diving the wear isn't likely to be a factor. Obviously using it with a STA and the rods means the tank offset is slightly more but it works fine for me.

JohnF

Hi,

just to complete the dissussion:

I use the 55# explorer in addition with STA when diving with single tanks. Theres no other way. You´ll find a very suitable sta at www.deepstop.com.

JohnF:
Earlier Pioneers required a STA, then Halcyon added the plastic rods so that the single wings could be used sta-less, then the new single wing came out last fall again needing a STA.

FWIW I still use a STA with my 27# Pioneer and simply ignore the rods. I suppose if I did 100's of dives there might eventually be some wear and tear but since I'm not lucky enough to do that much diving the wear isn't likely to be a factor. Obviously using it with a STA and the rods means the tank offset is slightly more but it works fine for me.

JohnF

What seems left unsaid is that Halcyon has reversed itself. If they've gone back to using at STA, they must feel that the two rods don't do the job that they are suppose to. You can dive the older Pioneer without a STA's, but IMHO, the tank flops around without a STA. I read this as Halcyon recognizing that the rods don't work well and reverting back to a tried and true solution.

I think Halcyon made a good decision here. They recognized a design flaw and addressed it. What it means for us as consumers is that you need at ADD the cost of a STA if you're comparing Halcyon to other competitors. As STA's are not cheap, this can mean a significant difference in the all-in price.

Hantzu

Back
Top Bottom