Alpha "Dive" Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you waterskier for bringing all of this up. I am ordering an alpha flag from your link as we speak here. Minewill not be the one meter version however. Maybe I need it and maybe I don't, if I don't it will look lovely on my dive locker wall and who knows maybe it will save me from being hassled by the water cops. What can it hurt to fly it--rhetorical only--lol. Thank you.

N

I have found most of the posts on this topic very informational.

Rick, to be fair, in your first post you did ask what anyone was doing to comply(or not to), and I think that where most of the posters were coming from. People in different states with different regs and rules.

To me Colorado still doesnt want to admit there are divers here. Proof of that, I only know of 2 state parks that allow diving, most places that we dive are city lakes. A one meter flag on a 16ft boat is dumb they should do as other states and make it 1 inch for every foot. But they make the rules and dont enforce them, makes sence to me.

Nemrod, what would be nice about diving from a boat here is to get away from the fishermen, some of the lakes in the mountains have very limited shore access. Fishermen would have to hike a long way to bother us. Dont knock our crappy diving, it is fun to find a scool of fish and sit still as they go under your arms and around your face trying to figure what you are. :) Laugh if you want but my wife and I had this happen with a small school of carp, by the end we each had about 5-7 fish using us as shelter. Maybe on the other side of the lake there might be a few diferent rocks, logs and silt bottom to see( mostly silt bottom).

I have found most of the posts on this topic very informational.

Rick, to be fair, in your first post you did ask what anyone was doing to comply(or not to), and I think that where most of the posters were coming from. People in different states with different regs and rules.

To All: Please accept my apology. Quite clearly my command of the written language isn't very good. I can try the excuse that I'm an engineer but I don't think that will cut it.

I have high regard for the last two posters specifically, and with the divers here on ScubaBoard in general. These fellows, along with others have pointed out that my original question asked what others did (or not) to comply (or not) with the Rule.

What I had intended to ask is what methods and materials or sources did they use to comply. I had never considered non-compliance as an option. Additionally, in my own mind (right or wrong) I "knew" the size and need for the flag. I just couldn't find a ready source for one that big.

I never intended to debate the size, local requirements for flags, interpretations of limited maneuverability, or usefulness of the rule. I thought maybe there were other sources that I didn't know about as a recreational boater.

I clearly missed my mark, and in the process offended some of you who didn't answer what I wanted to ask, but didn't. Those who answered that you don't, and why and how you don't, and I brushed you off or otherwise negated your response, I am sorry. You were answering a question I didn't intend to ask, and therefore I thought your responses not bearing on the subject.

In the end, I hope my posting of the USCG interpretation helps some of you, even if it is only so you have made an informed decision - whatever that decision may be. And, I found my source and have ordered flag in post #22 so the purpose of my post has been met. My only regret is that it may have been at the expense of others, which I no way intended.

Boat Safe, and Dive Safe

-Rick

Hi all,

I finally got an opportunity to take a picture of my boat (a 20-ft open bow) with the flags flying.

Attachments

• IMAG0037a.jpg
    IMAG0037a.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 195
Here's an example of compliance, it's one of our local dive charters and you can see that they have a section of marine ply cut and painted to form a rigid replica of an A flag;

Blog+Shipscape001.jpg

When the boat is not covering divers the flag is obscured with a tarp.

To get it completely right, I believe that an International Code/Answering pennant should be flow below the vessel's ensign. When so flown, this pennant conveys the message that all other signal flags visible aboard the vessel are intended to convey their International Code meanings and no other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom