Alternative to Chamber?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the 1998 Workshop:

Pearl divers
After 1989, when the deaths for pearl diving had been reduced to 0-1 per year, attention
became focused on the next major problem, DCS. Information about the value of oxygen
at 9 metres spread by word of mouth, from visiting lecturers.

It started to be used both for decompression and recompression treatment.
Wong11, Nishi10 and Edmonds12 have described the diving schedules and the results,
during the last decade. Of reference to this report is the divers experience with DCS and
its underwater treatment.

During the 4 years, 1988-91, extending over 4 pearl diving seasons, a survey of 10% of subjects
covered a total of 1,834 days dived by these open ocean shell divers. It comprised 11,776 dives,
averaging 6.4 dives per day. The divers were exposed to depths between 10 and 54 metres.(Table 1).

Table 1 - (Omitted as can't format properly)

DCS was the commonest medical disorder recorded (45%). The existence of a DCS diagnosis in the
diving logs was verified by the recorded extra decompression time employed. This involved an
administration or extension of O2 at 9m for 30-45 min. The incidence of DCS from a diving day
increases progressively from: 0.2% at 10-14m depths to 13.6% at 45-54m depths.
Of the 1,834 diver days worked (11,776 dives), there were 56 cases of DCS and 55 were treated
successfully on the UW O2 regime.

By extrapolation to the remainder of the Broome and Darwin fleets, we can presume a DCS case load of about 500 treated underwater on oxygen over those 4 seasons of diving. Only one required
medevac.

Provisos must be noted.
1. All cases occurred at sea, and treatments were usually given within 30 minutes. Occasionally the diver would return to the depth of the dive to complete another "drift" before being treated with oxygen.
2. Except for the diver who required medevac, most divers continued diving on that or the next day without any more problems.
3. We have no idea of how this treatment influences the propensity to dysbaric osteonecrosis.
Like the abalone divers, their pearl divers have modified the treatment regime, but not in the same
manner. Their consistent routine is to employ oxygen for 30 minutes at 9 meters, extendible if any
symptoms persist, and then ascend at a relatively fast rate of 3 metres per minute.

DISCUSSION
The physiological principles on which UW02 is based are well known and not contentious,
although the indications for treatment may be.

It was originally hoped that the UW02 treatment would be sufficient for the management of
minor cases of DCS and so avoid medevac requirements, and to prevent deterioration of the
more severe cases while suitable transport was being arranged. When the regime was applied
early, even in the serious cases, the transport was rarely required.

It is a common observation in recreational divers treatment that improvement continues
throughout the ascent, at 12 minutes per metre. Presumably the resolution of the bubble is more
rapid at this ascent rate than its expansion due to Boyle's Law.

The pearl divers, probably because of their speedy return to pressure and rapid treatment on
oxygen, are able to reduce the duration on oxygen and cope with a faster ascent rate.
Critics of the underwater treatment technique often complain that its success is based on
anecdotal cases. The vast numbers of divers employing it effectively make it more than
anecdotal- and the numbers now exposed safely to shallow (9m or less) oxygen are extreme in
both pearl divers and hyperbaric patients. The critics then often imply great danger citing one or
two patients with symptoms that may be related to oxygen or may be related to the original dive
i.e. genuine anecdotes!

Reports by Pyle and Youngblood31 from the (predominantly) Hawaiian divers using in-water
recompression highlighted both the disadvantages and value of this procedure. Of the 527
cases, 87.7 % got complete resolution, 9.7 % had mild residua and 2.7 % required additional
recompression chamber therapy.

The UW02 recompression treatment is not applicable to all cases, especially when the patient is
unable or unwilling to return to the underwater environment. It is presumably of less value in
the cases where gross decompression staging has been omitted, or where a coagulopathy has
developed. I would be reluctant to administer this regime where the patient has epileptic
convulsions or is unconscious. Others are less conservative.

World-recognized diving medicine doctor Carl Edmonds, veteran tech diving expert Bret Gilliam, Dr. Richard Pyle, IANTD founder Tom Mount, Dr. Ann Kristovich (Women Divers Hall of Fame member and co-leader of Proyecto De Buceo Espeleologico Mexico Y America Central), and even DAN and the US Navy give the nod to the technique under extreme and proper circumstances. Case reports show that it clearly has saved some folk's bacon. However, the procedure is not without considerable risk and many factors have to be controlled. As I stated above, it's the technique of very last resort and properly trained personnel and adequate logistical support are mandatory.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

I guess the real point is that I'd trust the people that you mention to properly plan for and run an emergency treatment, something that is somewhat more challenging than running a chamber treatment. The problem with this discussion, in this particular venue is that many of the readers don't understand the difficulties and, in the field, would not be properly prepared to undertake the operation. Rather, they'd try to "ad hoc" their way through on the mistaken assumption that doing "something" is better than doing "nothing." Sane IWR is not a spur of the moment operation run by amateurs.

"TREATMENT OF DECOMPRESSION SICKNESS,
HAWAIIAN STYLE
Frank P. Farm, Jr.
Edwin Hayashi
Edward. L. Beckman, M.D.

The need for immediate recompression in the treatment of DCS has been emphasized
for many years (U.S. Navy, 1963). However, when the USN recompression chambers at Pearl Harbor were made available for DCS treatment of Hawaii's diving fishermen (HDF) the emphasis "for immediate recompression was skewed to immediate recompression in the recompression chamber. Hawaii's diving fishermen were thereafter admonished to come immediately to the
recompression chamber at Pearl Harbor for treatment. However, the HDF netted
and speared fish from small boats which they operated miles and hours away from
the treatment chamber. They had learned that delay in treatment was
detrimental to their recovery. They had learned, by trial and error, to treat
DCS by immediate in water recompression (IIWR) using scuba. The effectiveness
of this procedure was evaluated in this survey, and the parameters of IIWR
treatments and their effectiveness were determined.

The divers interviewed reported the use of IIWR in the treatment of aver 500
diving incidents of premonitory signs or frank decompression sickness. The
treatment was successful except in 65 incidents.
(The Hawaii method is on air, no oxygen) - but the success rate on oxygen is much better, but even just on air, IWR seems very useful if done immediately and done deeply to more than 30 feet. Where as on Oxygen, the max depth should not exceed 30 feet.

It seems IWR does no harm, so why not? Secondly, Chamber treatment can still be done after IWR. For me, this seems like a no brainer - IWR with oxygen at 30 feet for 30-90 minutes - and no I am not a medical professional nor am I a very experienced diver, which is why I got thinking of what I would do if I was diving in a very remote location and got bent for some reason. I am a private pilot and I think this contingency thinking comes from that training: "What would you do if...?" So it got me thinking and asking for the best alternative to a chamber if none is readily available.......once again, thanks all for your input.

graywhale: I can't help but question the practicality of in-water treatment. Especially for Type II DCS which is characterized by pulmonary symptoms, hypovolemic shock or nervous system involvement. How do you treat the symptoms of dyspnea, hemoptysis, vomiting, paralysis, or ataxia in an underwater environment? Not to mention the increasing risks of hypothermia (we don't all dive in bathwater)...

The Hawaiian study was a while back and so did not, as I recall, compare IWR to transport on oxygen, which would be the alternative today.

Everything needs proper training, this includes first aid. The professional divers in Australia and Hawaii were not the academic type and certainly not trained medical professionals. But they were able to figure this out BY THEMSELVES.

It is the medical community that then went about evaluating what they were doing and fine tuning it based on what already was being practiced. A live aboard operation already is required to have first aid equipment and training, so why not IWR? It does not seem complicated. To those who say it is dangerous and could do harm, that goes against what Dr. Carl Edmonds of the Diving Medical Centre in Sydney says:

The UW02 regime, as described, is considered as a first aid regime, not superior to portable recompression chambers, but sometimes surprisingly effective and rarely, if ever, detrimental.

DCBC

I agree there can be many complications and there are situations were IWR should not be done. Hemoptysis actually shows the urgency of immediate treatment. All the others are covered by the Australian method, which uses a full face mask and a safety diver (it's only 30 feet or less):

A non-return valve is attached between the supply line and the full face mask (e.g. a CressiSub). The latter is inexpensive and enables the system to be used with a semi-conscious or
unwell patient. It reduces the risk of aspiration of sea water, allows the patient to speak to his
attendants, and also permits vomiting without obstructing the respiratory gas supply. Many
compromise by using a normal face mask.

graywhale: Having used my fair share of full-face masks and having experienced a teammate suffer from Type II DCS, there's no way I'd reintroduce anyone back into the water (especially in cold water). I'd transport them on O2 if a chamber wasn't available.

It does however bring-up the point of Diver judgement. When do you do a deep dive? What safety equipment do you require before you start? In the commercial field it's simple. You need a chamber on-site and require certified support staff (along with personally being credentialed to undertake the dive) before it can occur.

When all is said and done, I suppose it has to do with the severity of the patient and who has to call the shots. It would however be a liability issue.

This really made me go hmm...

Excerpt from the Hawaii study published by
Frank P. Farm, Jr. Edwin Hayashi Edward, L. Beckman, M.D.

Another incident, which was reported by one of the divers interviewed, may
explain why IIWR for the treatment of decompression sickness has been adopted
by so many HDF. This incident was subsequently verified by other divers
involved and by the County Coroner's Office.

On this day of fishing, four divers were working in pairs at a site in about 165 to 180 FSW. Each pair alternated diving and made two dives each. Upon surfacing from the second
dive, both divers of the second pair rapidly developed signs and symptoms of
severe CNS decompression sickness. The driver of the boat and other diver
decided to take both victims to the U.S. Navy recompression chamber, so they
headed for the dock some 30 minutes away. However, one diver refused to go and
elected to undergo IIWR. He took two full scuba tanks and told the boat driver
to come back and pick him up after they got the other diver to the chamber. He
was then rolled over the side of the boat.

The boat crew returned after two hours to pick him up, they found him
on the surface. He was asymptomatic and apparently cured of the disease. The
other diver died of severe decompression sickness in the Med-Evac helicopter on
the way to the recompression chamber.
comment: This was on normal air, no oxygen, though it is not mentioned how long or deep he went during the IWR. We also do not know if the diver that died was on 02 in transit or not. We do know the diver that survived was not.

This case does indicate to me that speed to repressurize is of the utmost importance. The second most important thing is 02, if available. These are worst case scenarios, in a desperate situation really. Again, I am only asking what to do in these desperate situations? It seems to me, that staying at surface pressure on 02 or not, is far less effective than repressurizing quickly, regardless of how.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom