Alternative to Cozumel Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goprocaribbean is the technical training side of Coconut Tree Divers who does between 3-4 recreational dives daily from Roatan's West End. They do a lot of DM training and so there will almost always be DM trainees shadowing you on the boat. Without a buddy, they'll match you up with someone although generally we just dove as a group without specific buddies. I shoot video so a couple of times one of the DM's was my "private" buddy that I didn't pay anything extra for. Should there be a "Norther" CTD is one of the operators with the resources to move their boats south and shuttle you over daily. West End Divers, Native Sons and several others can also. Some of the smaller Panga boat operators won't.

Since you don't want an AI resort there are a lot of options in that area instead. The entire West End is a mixture of shops, small resorts (most just rooms/cabins) and eating options at all price ranges. There's also a couple of small markets in the area and almost all the rooms have at least a mini-refrigerator - many have full kitchens. They also sell nice quality produce/fruit from street trucks daily. We buy lunch for $5-10 and most dinners are under $20. Some well under, 2 full chickens and all the extras for 4 of us were $22 one night at Rotisserie Chicken. Noodles Factory is a $5 lunch between dives and Argentinean Grille sells good steaks for around $15-25.

One nice thing about that area is the whole thing is less than a mile long so you don't need a car - a cab ride from the airport is $25 (fixed) and we just walked around all week. Sundowners is a nice beach bar in that area also - a lot of divers go there nightly. You can sit at the waters edge in the sand there.

Coconut Tree has small individual cabins behind their building/diveshop/store. They rent for as little as $40-50 nt. My friends rented several so I've been in them. The cheapest is a studio with a mini-frig, $5-10 more/nt. buys you a full kitchen with large appliances and slightly more than that one bedroom. Just down the road Posada Arco Iris is another option. Their studio/1 br. with small kitchenette ranges from $42-60/nt depending on season. Although low/high seaon in that area is about a $10/day difference usually.

There are also many other options, Chillies is a hostel, Splash Inn has their own dive operation, Sueno Del Mar is an inexpensive waterfront hotel with their own dive operator - one of few on the beach. Coconut Tree has information about rental properties on their website. Roatán, West End Information

Downside of the West End. It can be noisier closer to the end of the week. There' a lot of outdoor bars and loud music. Some of them are in front of the resorts so you will hear it. There's also quieter options on the east end of Half Moon Bay, Posada Los Orchideas, SeaGrape Plantation, Cocolobo (more upscale), Half Moon Bay resort are choices there. SeaGrape has their own operator or it's a 5min. walk to the West End. At night we barely heard it. For some perspective, Cocolobo is the three green buildings seen in the lower left portion of the image in the link above, the dock in the middle of the bay is Ccoconut Tree's.

I don't understand the pony requirement either - are you bringing yours or wanting to rent one there? Diving with doubles there is not necessary as dives are above 130' - most around 60-90' - and within recreational guidelines. CTD got us a couple AL-100's but that's all we needed. The guys at GoPro might be doing more technical dives on a personal level but they primarily are teaching. IDK that they're DIR but they dive BP/W configurations - it's about the only place I saw one.

More of a "budget AI" is Reef House Resort. You don't pay for a pool or anything fancy because they don't have one. 3 dives per day on the south side - just east of Cocoview - and they have a house reef for shore diving also. It is pretty isolated though.

Really Cocoview isn't all that fancy either. No pool and the resort rooms look average for Roatan. Barefoot wouldn't be for you as it's a boutique dive resort. You will pay a single supplement at an AI resort though and Christmas Week they might all be booked anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you for detail answer.
Like I mention, I have zero interest to any hotel facilities except breakfast and security.
I send mails to several dive shops in Honduras, included Goprocaribbean.
Only few answered,
Goprocaribbean not yet.
All who answered can't provide doubles or pony for rent.
As I wrote, I don't have buddy, buddy will be assigned on boat just before a dive.
I will not go underwater in such condition without stage.
I met enough suddenly assigned on boat buddies on US and international boats, who shows me "good bye, I will stay little bit here" on my sign "let go up, I don't have enough air to continue the dive on this deep".
Looks I will come back again to known dive shop in Cozumel, who rent doubles or stages without any issue. :-(

I doubt you'll find anyone on Roatan that rents doubles - they're simply not needed. It's actually very difficult to find a tank to rent off-site - most of the operators are pretty self-contained.

Enjoy Cozumel...

Reactions: Doc
sorry for you. I almost never never never have a buddy. I love that. everything that happens on the dive is up to me, doubles?? wha??? pony
well maybe

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 11:29 PM ----------

do you want to dive dude? or are you just screwing around?

(Roman: this is intended to cause thought, not an attack. You said you were interested now in Corals and Fishes. Maybe time to switch gears... or gear?)

Pony hell, get a Clydesdale.

(That's my pal, Don, right there)

Real diver-men sling an Alu 80. Why horse around?

Seriously, you're not likely to find bottles less than 62cf available. Slinging a 62 is easy, and when I have "felt required" to have a redundant air supply, anything less than 50cf seemed to be wasting my effort.

I have been to maybe 100+ dive resorts in my days, and I have only seen two that you could arrange in advance for doubles or heavy metal. I do however tend to frequent the warm-water-pretty-fish places, such as Cozumel and Roatan, stuff like that. A lot of us dive in our beach baggies. The horror.

Specifically, on the South side of Roatan, if you're out of gas... instead of switching to that alternate air supply, we usually just recommend that you stand up, instead.

On Roatan, we have seen some heavy metal guys show up. American Diving from South Padre used to run deep gas weeks on the North side. I like those guys, but you could have had the same diving experience in Texas. Ahh, you came here for the ambiance? Okay, that I understand. Unfortunately though, my other experiences with hardware/technocentric visitors to paradise? They are "not interested" in creature observation. Their attention is focused on anything but. You could do this in an appropriate concrete lined vertical tube.

Tools (nitrox, doubles, heavy metal) are for appropriate uses during certain situations. Most people weigh the probability versus possibility. In that redundant air supplies are so rare (and assuming your desire for a doubles rig would be required to be plumbed as two stand-alone systems, that means you could bring your own backplate and toss on two separate 80's, the DM would be none-the-wiser... a non-issue, you could do that at any Texas inland dive shop), not really sure of the Roatan/Cozumel need for this.... other than requiring less lead. OCD versus a process carved in stone?

The exception:

Set yourself free.
Try a Mexican, real cane sugar CocaCola.
Beats the kool-aid.

Last edited:
Check out Key Largo. Lots of tech divers and no passport required for Americans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom