Am I A Wierdo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheers guys for all you input it's been very helpful/comforting.

Although I'm shocked :wacko: at how many people admit to not useing dive tables or computer etc... I guess it's probably because I'm new to this & I hope when you've been doing it for years experience is the key, otherwise it would like doing motorbike road racing (another sport I enjoy) without a lid or leathers. :boom: with the attitude of, "well I havn't had an accident yet"

to divebunnie
I like warm waters too but as I live in Doset, England I either Dive cool water or I don't Dive. :( & to be honest it's not that bad really.

to pasley
Your 3rd point made me laugh & you don't know how right you are. I can argue the toss with all the other points but at the end of it all it boils down to...What would my wife say if I just spent another £300.00 on diving gear LOL :D

I started diving in 1968 long before dive computers were available.In 1997 I finally bought my first dive computer and I took it to paradise springs to try it out .Also my 14yr. old daughter was doing this dive with me.Its a 140ft. deep dive in a cavern .The first dive went as planned I really liked the assent meter.So between dives we went to lunch came on back and went in for our 2nd dive, swam down to the bottom I looked at my new computer and guess what I had miss figured and I and my daughter were already in deco.the computer told me at what depht to stop and for how long.I have been diving for a long time without a computer and now I won't go without one ! All dive operations want you to have one .
the assent meter is worth the money ,not to mention the extra bottom time.
THE FIRST PIECE OF EQUIPMENT YOU NEED IS A DIVE COMPUTER

diver187 once bubbled...

If you never dive deeper than 50 ft, then you may never need a computer. Charts work fine for such shallow work.

If you start diving deeper than 50 ft, then a computer is really useful.

My computer was my last gear purchase. There is no rush, in my opinion.

diver187 once bubbled...
I started diving in 1968 long before dive computers were available.In 1997 I finally bought my first dive computer and I took it to paradise springs to try it out .Also my 14yr. old daughter was doing this dive with me.Its a 140ft. deep dive in a cavern .The first dive went as planned I really liked the assent meter.So between dives we went to lunch came on back and went in for our 2nd dive, swam down to the bottom I looked at my new computer and guess what I had miss figured and I and my daughter were already in deco.the computer told me at what depht to stop and for how long.I have been diving for a long time without a computer and now I won't go without one ! All dive operations want you to have one .
the assent meter is worth the money ,not to mention the extra bottom time.

You may not have "misfigured" the dive. Presuming you figured it on tables and it was in reality a pretty square dive, it's likely the computer was more conservative than the tables and would have you in deco sooner. It's not like there is one "right" answer.

So, 3 whole hours and no one has commented on taking a 14 year old on a 140ft dive in a cavern?

Damsel,

I'm no ones daddy, but after 3 glasses of wine and a little thought, I'll comment on that last bit of your last post.

Dad knows best, we hope! He's known her for her whole life, after all. She certainly couldn't have a more concientious partner.I think it's positively outstanding that a young woman is out doing this stuff. I've seen so few women on dive boats, on rock walls and glaciers, in recreation in general that involved calculated risk that I have the highest respect for such women. This kid is spending character and confidence building time with her father that she will cherish for the rest of her life, and learning self reliance as well. Kudo's Dad!, for including your daughter in this great sport. I don't believe in raising girls as girls and boys as boys. Not in this day.

Don

donclaypool once bubbled...
Damsel,

She certainly couldn't have a more concientious partner.
Don

Not so sure I call someone who takes a 14 year old on a deco dive beyond established recreational depths a concientious partner. Any Instructor or Divemaster who did this would have their current teaching/guide status pulled.

later

Steve

That doesn't answer my question. I don't know enough about agencies and the reasoning for specific ages. Why 15? Why 14?

Most agencies do have criteria allowing junior certification for those under the age of 15. The junior status usually seems to start at ages 10-12 depending on the agency.

Junior status usually involves limited depths, requirement of diving with a parent/guardian or a dive professional (DM or Instructor) depending on the agency. There are limited certifications one can achieve prior to the age of 15. None of these certifications I am familiar with invovle deeper depths than 70-80 feet, if that.

There are a great many out there who are in the belief that no child under the age of 15 should even dive due to physiological development reasons, but that's a whole 'nother thread.

In any case, if no dive agencies support training children to the depth mentioned earlier, then how could the child have been properly trained to go to that depth?

later

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom