Am I being gouged, or is lead really THAT expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KozMcCharlie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got back from the LDS where they wanted $70 for about 26 lbs of lead weights (2 - 5 lb, 4 - 3 lb and 2 - 2lb)

I was a little shocked, but maybe I just don't know any better...

Lead from the dive shop is about that expensive around me as well. I make my own weights and sell them for around $2 a pound but you live to far away...

Lead isn't that expensive. The service of melting them down, forming them into weights, and sending them to a dive shop where they can sell them to you for a profit is though.

Going rate @ my SoCal LDS is $4/lb soft weight or $3/lb hard weight

You got 26# that would be $104 soft or $78 hard + 9.75% sales tax.

Lead is $$$

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Try Craiglist or kijiji

Keep scanning the for sale ads and you will most likely find numerous ads for weights and or full scuba sets with weights.

I managed to pick up weights (60 lbs) for myself and my girlfriend for around $1.25 / lbs

Try on-line. I've found shot and bags that work out to about $1 and small change, per pound.

My LDS charges $5 a pound, so your price was a deal!

Order lead ingots from eBay, melt them down in a cast iron pot and pour them into moulds. You can get ingots on eBay for about $1 a pound or you can get lead from scap yards or tire shops for around .25-.50 per pound.

I make my own, so it only costs me about $10 a #. or less if you do not consider my time, the cost of machinery or the chance of getting lead poisoning.

no seriously go to a reloader shop buy the shot at about 1.50 a pound and then sew some into little pouches using your wifes sewing machine and the bottom of her curtains. (use the bottom so that she never notices).

or worry less, and dive more. :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom