Am I Happy with my course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have since been bitten by the bug and I am planning a much more active year of diving and more training as well.

The attitude that is discussed above, about only diving once a year and "it is only a leisure thing" was exactly the attitude I had. But I was doing dives that were mostly greater than 70- 80' depths with many below 100'; included doing penetrations on wrecks that were put there for divers; included night dives and also included multiple dives per day over multiple days, which pushed the limits of the tables regularly.

Until I decided to dive more frequently and then stumbled onto this board, I simply didn't know any better. I was diving off of friends' boats who had been divers for years and who never once commented (over eight years of diving) about my skills.

Many people become interested in diving and are willing to take the first steps and fork over a few hundred bucks and do the classes for OW. After the class though, there are no requirements for continuing to hone your skills and it is possible, in fact fairly easy actually, to continue to dive infrequently without ever practicing your skills, but without ever getting hurt either.

I believe that just through parctice (92 dives so far) I have improved my skills significantly. I don't believe that I have ever been a danger to anyone else in the water (on that, I have to disagree with a comment made earlier) just because I don't have perfect kicking form or don't regularly practice clearing my mask.

I guess my point is this, that just because the people on this board are more serious about improving their diving skills (I count myself in here now) and know much more about better diving techniques and equipment than others, doesn't mean that there isn't a place for people to partake of the sport in a leisurely fashion with a minimum level of understanding and training in how to dive safely. Not everyone will aspire to technical diving or even care to do AOW, but that shouldn't preclude them from diving at all.

svidlano once bubbled...

In diving that is what I miss. Equipment is still strange to me, and changes every time I dive (I have to rent).

You should really try to purchase your own equiptment. If you are really serious about practicing, you will defiently need it.

What surprises me is that there are no other divers. Nobody is trying to improve his/hers skill.

Most people do not care that they have not clue or don't realize how bad they are.

So my question is - what is wrong with diving/divers? Nobody wants to learn, nobody wants to improve.

Most SCUBA classes seem to focus on short term goals, getting a little piece of plastic at the end of the class. Rarely is the importance of regular practice and the idea of constant improvement promoted. People are content with poor skills. If you ever want to get any better, you have to show some initiative. Most people will not do this. You clearly don't have this problem since you take advantage of practice time in the pool.

svidlano,

Last year GUE sponsored a DIR Fundamentals class in Croatia (I think it was near Split). Try to find the people who organized that class, and I'm sure you will find some divers very interested in helping you improve your skills. They may be holding another class this year. That class will provide you with an overview of the diving skills and philosophy I think you might be looking for, and it will introduce you to like-minded divers.

Amanda,

Don't apologize or even worry about your English. Your writing is better than most "native's." I for one feel quite inadequate reading your posts, because I could never hope to carry on nearly as well as you do in another language.

Thx - my club/LDS started to offer "Fundamentals of better diving" but I'm not sure if I after only 15 dives should even think about something like that.

For now I will practice in the pool, and when water gets warmer - here I come (just bought my mask).

Best regards

svidlano once bubbled...
Thx - my club/LDS started to offer "Fundamentals of better diving" but I'm not sure if I after only 15 dives should even think about something like that.

For now I will practice in the pool, and when water gets warmer - here I come (just bought my mask).

Best regards

This is absolutely the best time for you to get into this class. Learn these skills from the beginning. The GUE Fundamentals class requires very few dives as a prerequisite.

Amanda once bubbled...

You mean the one the dive center dives with ? PADI / FFESSM (the french thing)

I KNOW it's illegal... I normally don't guide people u/w... I just gear them up, sometimes do their briefings, and do the "baptisms" (the very first dive a person does).

I swear I do it right and never put anyone in danger.

Amanda, please, I'm not accusing anyone, but seeing Grenoble I was just wondering if you were FFESSM, CMAS or PADI.

Send me a PM, swo we can switch to French if you want to...

Most of the OW classes are pretty poor. If you are able to pass a course and get certified with poor skills, they must not be important. The attitude of not working on skills is encouraged by the industry. AOW does not go back and work on weak skills, it does not go back and add in skills left out of the OW class. We'll have this attitude as long as we have so many poor classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom