Ambergris Caye, Belize - Review. Do not dive with "Aqua Dives"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbj7:
What sort of answer did you expect from the guy on the counter? I wouldn't have given you a straight answer.

If you're honestly asking, I expected a sales pitch about why ProTech was a better dive center. To use your example... the difference between the Rolls Royce and Ford. With no input, I felt ProTech was catering to technical divers, hence the added cost. Ecologic had other selling points (e.g. taking pictures underwater for us) that made the added cost worthwhile.

SCUBAJENNIFER:
I've dived with Aqua Dives on two different trips. I had an excellent experience both time. I've recommended them to others more times than I can count. I think it's a little unfair of you to bash them for 1 day trip. Bad weather can make any day on any boat seem much worse than it is. Especially if your new to diving and the boats in general.
I think you have every right to say you didn't enjoy your 1 day with Aqua Dives, but to boldy post not to dive with them is a little much.

I'm glad you had a great trip with these folks!!

As a part time captain on many offshore fishing boats and sometimes in very heavy seas, you just don't run hard with people on board.
I know some of these guys think this is fun and the passengers are in for a fun ride, but it is a sure way to seriously injure someone.
This is totally unprofessional and in defense of the poster of this thread...
Sorry you had to deal with this!!
In heavy seas you slow down, take your time and if the folks are really miserable and seasick, so be it. Beats a broken bone any day!!
When I have been on cattle dive boats, I do my own head count and keep tabs on the full party. If I had to, I'd tear the staff a new one and make them wait till all were aboard, or the CG was alerted and on scene.
Some guys are idiots and like to play with de rich mons toys, yaa mon!:no

Seriously.... like what does give me the right to bash them, if this trip didn't? Search these forums for Aqua and see what you find...

I have been on dive boats, and I'm a recreational boater myself. I am not a USCG captain, but I understand basic boating safety. I was very surprised to see the float line in the strong current fall behind the back of the but. The divemaster was ordering people to keep pulling themselves past the props. Obviously, they weren't running, but you just don't have people swim in front twin outboard, stainless steel props. It's scary for them (like putting your hand in the garbage disposal) and at the very least, the blades are SHARP.

Check out this post in 2004 http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=42403

NatureDiver:
I honestly can't say that I have a personal experience with Aqua Divers but...
I work with Norwegian Cruise Lines and we used to use Aqua divers for diving shore excursions in Belize. NCL dropped Aqua Divers because on one trip, they left a diver in the water and left the site, only to go back later when they realized it and pick them up. Because of that, NCL no longer has diving in Belize because they are looking for a good dive operation. So far, we are trying to get Hugh Parkey's Dive operation approved by head office but that's all I can say about it really. I've heard similar complaints about Aqua Divers from other people on the board. Hope this helps a bit.

All goes to show the importance of doing your homework.

(Another thing homework would have possibly done is make you think twice about doing the blue hole as beginners, which most people don't consider such a good idea, and many don't even think is worth the trip.)

We dove with Aqua Dives a year ago (on a hastily rebooked trip that was supposed to have gone to Cozumel), and I don't think I'd dive with them again. The DMs were pretty good but the boats were poorly maintained, to say the least. In 4 days they had engine trouble twice and ran out of gas once, leaving us a couple of piers down from our hotel. For the 5-10 minute trips out to the local reefs, it was not so bad. But the more advanced divers in the group, who had planned to schedule a trip to the Blue Hole or Turneffe Elbow, decided that a 2-3 hour one way trip on the open ocean in that boat (and with no head!) was a non-starter. Since the trip was a last-minute thing, we didn't have a lot of opportunity to research alternatives; we were just glad not to have been cancelled.
I would go back to Ambergris Cay in a heartbeat but I would dive with somebody else.

Deborah

just returned from Belize and 14 dives with Aqua, yes the stranded a boat at the hole, but what no one has posted so far is that on the 25th of Nov, running hard in big seas, i heard 8 foot or so they cracked the hull off Caye Caulker and it is now at 800 feet, everyone got off and is fine, but as i was checking in my group of 9 divers, 4 just newly certified, I had major questions and watched the operation very closely. The boats are in need of MAJOR UPDATING and SERVICE, there is no doubt there and I believe the "captians responsible" for the incidents have been removed. The captians we had and the DM Eric, were professional and took great care. Do your homework and research, we did a trip to the elbow and they had a secondary supply boat out with us, maybe it was my *****ing at the shop "manager" the night before and asking the hard questions,tnaks,gas,head, SAFETY, the only thing about our trip was the marine head was a little backed up and the smell was getting strong. My wife is an instructor and I am a Dive Con candiate and we got to the shop an 30 mins before the trip to the elbow to inspection and review the boats...... we felt ok with the situation, I will say that the dives did feel a little rushed but we had over an hour surface on all, and the dives are unreal, 7 eagle rays in formation and 4 turtles. The only major disappointment was the night dive, and to be honest dont waste the money......

I don't have a comment on the rest of your experience, but I have a comment on this:

n8Delta:
We were ordered into the water like it was a boot camp... the boat captain was yelling at me from his cockpit to "Go Down Now" as I waited for my girlfriend (and dive buddy) to enter the water. People were confused on who they were following, as there was just so much chaos and people. You couldn't even bend over to put on your fins. My girlfriend was physically pushed over by the divemaster as he rushed around trying to maintain order. This was one of those boats that people get forgot on. My girlfriend did not finish the 3rd dive, because of her frustration, and confusion, she wasn't comfortable diving any more.

The Blue Hole is a unique dive in that it is DM led and they take people with very few dives down to (and past) the limits of recreational diving. In order to do that, everyone has to go down at the same time, so it is a little like boot camp.

When I did it with Paradise Down (out of Caulker) it was kind of like this (a boot camp), but very ordered and very professional. We could hang on the surface until everyone was in the water. It sounds like the weather might have been rough enough that you couldn't.

On the whole, I'd suggest skipping the BH dive for newer divers (I was when I did it). The other two dives (Half Moon, Aquarium) are great, though, and not to be missed.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

colo_diver:
just returned from Belize and 14 dives with Aqua, yes the stranded a boat at the hole, but what no one has posted so far is that on the 25th of Nov, running hard in big seas, i heard 8 foot or so they cracked the hull off Caye Caulker and it is now at 800 feet, everyone got off and is fine, but as i was checking in my group of 9 divers, 4 just newly certified, I had major questions and watched the operation very closely. The boats are in need of MAJOR UPDATING and SERVICE, there is no doubt there and I believe the "captians responsible" for the incidents have been removed. The captians we had and the DM Eric, were professional and took great care. Do your homework and research, we did a trip to the elbow and they had a secondary supply boat out with us, maybe it was my *****ing at the shop "manager" the night before and asking the hard questions,tnaks,gas,head, SAFETY, the only thing about our trip was the marine head was a little backed up and the smell was getting strong. My wife is an instructor and I am a Dive Con candiate and we got to the shop an 30 mins before the trip to the elbow to inspection and review the boats...... we felt ok with the situation, I will say that the dives did feel a little rushed but we had over an hour surface on all, and the dives are unreal, 7 eagle rays in formation and 4 turtles. The only major disappointment was the night dive, and to be honest dont waste the money......

Aqua Dives is pathetic. Spend your money elsewhere.

I am researching diving in Belize and I appreciate your post. I take everything I read on here with a grain of salt, and from what I have read so far I will be using a different dive OP than Aqua.
Thanks,
choco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom