American airlines and Caribbean travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taken the ferry to Martinique while I was in Dominica, as an outing when I was there for a few weeks and had lots of time. Most of the passengers were Dominicans buying things in Martinique. It's always a possibility, but it would probably add two travel days on each end and an overnight stay in Martinique. It was a long trip on some very high seas, not that pleasant, and not really designed to be a connection or link for travel to Dominica. I'm hoping the medical school will make some kind of arrangement that other travelers can utilize. It's also possibe that another carrier will pick up the route, but the global economy and other factors make it unlikely. I have Dominican friends who tell me that Dominica's government is counting on increasing the cruise ship visits to help make up the loss, but car rental agencies, hotels, property rental interests, and the various new upscale ecotourist properties are very worried. So am I . I've been going to Dominica for a long time and I'd really miss the place. The Chinese are slowly taking over the island, and the loss of the San Juan connection would probably speed that process up.

The ferries from Guadeloupe and Martinique are good/fun/inexpensive but they include another long link in the travel chain for US travelers. It is really difficult to get from the US to either French island without traveling on the one AA flight/day. The best non-LIAT alternative connection may be to fly directly to SXM and take a quick taxi to SFG (French side) and catch an Air Antilles Express or Air Caraibes; but an overnight somewhere along the way is inevitable, especially if Dominica is your ultimate destination.

It quite likely (said hopefully) someone will fill the AA void on some of the routes, it's even possible American Eagle will be downsized and be spun off.

IMHO for Dominica- Melville Hall Airport, service is unlikley to get any better. But the PRC has shown it is capable of infrastructure improvements, maybe they can build a "Feng Shui Skyway" to go along with the "Feng Shui Highway", on the west coast.

I am a travel agent specializing in dive destinations. I WILL NEVER BOOK A PASSENGER ON AMERICAN AIRLINES AGAIN.

If I cannot offer another carrier to a destination, I simply will not offer that destination. As far as I am concerned, they are already out of business. Bar far the worst in the industry.

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

In the last 6 weeks, my wife and I flew 12 segments on AA, 5 were late, 2 missed connections. Enough said.

Reactions: Jax
Seems AA is in sort of a death spiral. The more unreliable they become, the fewer people who want to risk booking with them, and the fewer customers they have, the more cancellations, etc.

AA was the cheapest option for an upcoming Cozumel trip, but we passed right over them. No thank you. Not risking my vacation.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom