American Sign Language

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a PADI Sea Signs course that is based on ASL. It's a fun course, but covers pretty basic stuff. I agree, though, where one doesn't want to have extensive discussions under the water (isn't that what we're trying to get away from??), knowing some signs can be very helpful in emergencies or other situations when you want your buddy to know something right then and there. A tablet is the next best thing.

Great points Jupiter. Thanks for the plug!

FYI - SeaSigns is not a PADI course. It is an independent training course that qualifies people to communicate underwater using sign language. Although, many instructors apply for it to be a distinctive specialty so it will count toward Master Diver. The course has been approved as a "specialty" by most agencies including NAUI, PADI, SSI, etc. Please see the SeaSigns Web site for a complete list.

As Jupiter points out, SeaSigns is fast and effective. If you are in an emergency, it is SeaSigns belief that passing a tablet back and forth is slow and cumbersome.

Thanks for taking the course and your support. We appreciate all our "SeaSigns Divers".

If im in an emergency rather than wasting time with hand signals i'll be signalling "up" and heading that way.

Why would they? Its nothing to do with PADI.

Yep, PADI charges for the SeaSigns course, though not as much as a full specialty if I recall correctly. As a Deaf diver, fluent in ASL, I'd gladly become an instructor if it wasn't for the requirement of insurance (as I'm not an instructor of anything else). Guess I'll stick to teaching my dive buddies rudimentary ASL and fingerspelling. :)

I would highly recommend SeaSigns for most divers who don't have the dedication to take a full ASL course. To my understanding from the materials they've sent me in the past, they've developed an excellent system based on ASL and gestures adapted to diving.

A note on ASL - while not as universal as, say, Gestuno, it's pretty widely known - or at least, the fingerspelling portion of it is. Don't get caught up on the "American" portion - when learning ASL, one of the biggest things is classifiers (handshapes) for the words you don't know. In other words, you're going to be pantomiming anyways. :)

My own experiences diving - my wife and I were brand new at diving, and she had trouble in a dark "abyss" with vertigo and nausea. We were able to work it out underwater and agree to a calm ascent, rather than unknown uncommunicated unease. Sometimes it's just that comfort level of full communication that brings about calm so much quicker.

But my BEST experience with ASL was during a trip to the Pacific NW! In 47° water, me in 5-finger* wet gloves and Bob in dry gloves, he took me on a fantastic critter hunt and was able to fingerspell the names of each different kind of crab, anemone, and nudibranch that we found along the way. He was also able to explain various parts of the site, and we just had a BLAST during the dive, as opposed to a lengthy debrief afterwards. :)

If you want to issue a PADI card for SeaSigns, you must be a PADI Instructor with that Distinctive Specialty. Thus, you must fill out the Distinctive Specialty Instructor Application, You must Attach the SeaSigns Course Curriculum and a $65 Check (I think that is the cost).

Then when a student takes the course, you fill out a normal PIC card and send it in as a Distinctive specialty. The cost of the PIC is generally between $15 and $20.

In lieu of doing this, you can simply fill out the student registration for SeaSigns and they are certified by SeaSigns. Cost is $10 and the student gets a BC Tag too.

Most instructors teach it as a standalone and if someone wants the PADI card because they are working towards Master Diver, then the instructor charges extra.

Is the PADI Card Mandatory -- No.

////

I am a relatively new diver and I just thought on a few of my dives wouldn't it be cool to know that this or that was. I will check out the sea signs that sounds really interesting.

Once on a dive in Thailand me and my buddy came across 3 divers who looked like they didn't know what they were doing as they were just hanging out looking at each other, I asked if they were ok, one signed ok and the others just shrugged their shoulders and since none of us had a slate, I signed for us to go up and do our safety only to find out when we surfaced, they were doing check outs and their instructor took off. Two of the instructors on our boat went down and found the others only to later find out their instructor was back chillin on their boat.

I don't condone those kinds of shenanigans with new divers, that was just one of the times that I wished there could be more communication. I am sure I will need less communication as I log more dives, but I will always want to learn more underwater.

If im in an emergency rather than wasting time with hand signals i'll be signalling "up" and heading that way.

Not all "emergencies" need to end a dive. I jumped in one time had forgotten to buckle my BC to the tank :doh2:. Once we hit bottom I was able to sign "tank strap loose" and my buddy buckled me up and we were on our way. I would have hated to have had to remove all my gear underwater to do it on my own if I had to.

It's not for everybody. It's more of a fun class if you do it with friends. It's like making smilies underwater.....some that you make up as you go along. :popcorn:

I really haven't even finished the course yet. My instructor and I are having a hard time finding the time to get together to go over the material (I read the manual and watched the video....I use it with my friends that have already taken it).

SeaSigns, sorry for the misinformation. I don't know why I thought it was a PADI thing.

I'm an interpreter (ASL <=>English) and also use LSF (French Sign) - Canadian thing.

When I'm diving with Deaf friends we have a blast. When the dive's finished all the hearies on the boat suddenly become very interested and we're more than happy to share information.

Sorry Sting, you sound a bit of a curmudgen - no offense. ASL is used in many other countries besides the US. I have on travels made new Deaf friends from other countries and have found communication no harder than vocalizing a different spoken language.

Using sign U/W is not a bother - even in three fingered gloves. Why I can actually sign one handed holding a cup of coffee. It's really no different than holding a conversation (vocally)on the surface.

Rileybry - good luck in your studies - you'll find it's a lot of fun

OldnSalty "appeared that there isn't a lot of deaf people diving because the language was lacking in diving specific signs" ASL is capable of both abstract and concrete thought. A sign doesn't need to be any kind of "specific" to topic. What ever thought that can be vocalized can be communicated using sign. I have a number of Deaf friends who dive and once in awhile, I'm hired to interpret for clients taking various dive classes.

I'm happy to see this thread about ASL - it's a real passion for me and I'm happy to share information interested.

NAIBDiver1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom