Amitriptyline for pain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddyfan

New
Reaction score
I have a paralysed arm as a result of nerve damage. I take low dose (20mg) of Amitriptyline for pain relief at night before I go to bed. I have no depression problems, the drug is purely for pain relief. I qualified (PADI Open Water) last year & I was not on the drug at the time. What are your feelings of recreational diving on that drug? If I absolutely had to, I could come off the drug. I go to the Red Sea in 3 weeks time.

i was not aware that amitriptyline was used as a pain killer. it's a tryclic (sp?)
anti-depressant, and it does cause drowsiness, so some doctors use it on
patients to aid sleep. just be careful of drowsiness during the day.

(i am not a doctor, etc.)

From what I've heard from depressed users, they take 150-250mg+ so I know I am a low dose. I don't feel tired during the day. It is regularly used as a pain relief with my sort of injury (severed nerves).

cool... learn something new every day

did you ask your doctor about diving while taking it?

I'm not a doctor, either. I don't know what you may already have done to look for information about this from other sources, but there is at least some discussion of the potential risks specific to diving here:

http://scuba-doc.com/alertdiver2.pdf

That seems to be assuming that most people are taking these drugs for depression, and is therefore considering depression as another factor in the decision, in addition to the effects of the medication.

One of the considerations listed for some of these drugs and activities like driving is that you should see how you react to the medication after taking it for a while before deciding what you can safely do or not do. That sounds like good advice. But if you decide you are going to dive using the medication, you should be aware that the way it affects you in the atmosphere is not necessarily the way it will affect you in the water, so I would want to go slow if I were going to dive.

Low dose amitriptyline are common use for pain causing by nerve dysfunction such as diabetic neuropathy. It is not a pain medication per se but it can reduce nerve irritation and such like. It is also prescribed as prophylaxis medication for people with frequent migraine headache or use sometimes as sleeping pill since it can be quite drowsy even at low dose. It is not really used much for depression anymore as it can be quite drowsy and has quite a lot of side effect especially at high dose which is needed for depression.
One concern would be that if you get dizziness, drowsiness or similar, it could be worse at depth. Also, since you may not get any CNS side effect while taking the drug on land, at depth with extra nitrogen load, the CNS side effect may become more obvious.

Thanks for all the links.
ssra30 what are "CNS side effects".
I think I am going to try & come off the medication prior to our holiday. I'm sure the diving will help to take my mind off the pain. Does anyone know how long I should be off these for the affects to be out of my system? Days? Weeks?
Thanks again

buddyfan:
ssra30 what are "CNS side effects".

Thanks again
Opps, sorry, CNS side effect is central nervous system side effect. In this case, sedation, drowsiness etc.
Half life of amitryptaline is around 15 hours so in 4 days, most of the drug should be out of your system.

Back
Top Bottom